Anyone have any info. on this 76 D variety 1 ?

Post comments and questions about the two different Bicentennial O/R Designs
Soder47

Anyone have any info. on this 76 D variety 1 ?

Post by Soder47 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:40 am

Hi,this is my first post on the site. I am very happy to have found the site as I always liked IKE'S . I never knew the amount of differences in them. As you can see the e and b are missing from E PLURIBUS UNUM. Also the UNUM HAS THE shifted position that I have read about on the site. If anyone has any information for me to help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I have looked all over the Internet for information on this variety but have come up empty handed. Thank you and glad to have been able to do a post. I also am wondering if it has the R PEG LEG on the obverse? Thanks !!!
Attachments
image.jpg
1976 D missing reverse U & B Obverse side peg leg R? #2
image.jpg
1976 D missing reverse U & B Obverse side peg leg R?
image.jpg
1976 D missing reverse U & B
image.jpg
1976 D missing reverse U & B #2

AndyO
Site Admin

Re: Anyone have any info. on this 76 D variety 1 ?

Post by AndyO » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:25 pm

All 76 T1 coins are peg legs. As far as the missing letters, it's real hard to tell from your pictures. I would presume it's a plugged die being that the surrounding letters appear OK. However, we'd need a much clearer phot or see it in hand to be sure.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:33 pm

I agree with Andy. Plugged die - likely grease. It's hard to definitely call it struck through grease based on the photo. I have been putting together a collection of Ikes that are struck through and/or missing devices. Yours is nice. Hang on to it.

Also, as Andy said, yes it is a peg leg, but common, since all 1976 T1 Ikes had a peg leg design.
Steve Palladino

Soder47

Post by Soder47 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:27 pm

Thank you very much for the information. It's great to be able to have a place where I can ask Coin questions and get reliable answers. I will definitely try to take much clear shots of the coin and post them as soon as I get a chance. I was also wondering about the shift in UNUM Which is something oddly enough that I just read about on this site therefore I looked at the coin in it had the shift. What would cause that particular variety to occur or is it still a matter of debate. Once again thank you and I appreciate your responses. I definitely see myself becoming obsessed with the big old IKE dollars.
Attachments
image.jpg

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:45 pm

Honestly, UNUM shift has not been on my radar and not something I know much about, nor s it something that I have looked for. I want to read more about as well. Can you post the link to the page that you referenced?
Steve Palladino

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:56 pm

SteveP wrote:Can you post the link to the page that you referenced?
Nevermind. Here is the link to the 1976 T1 vs T2 E PLURIBUS UNUM variations. Good stuff.

Thanks for bringing it up. There is always something to learn about Ikes. ;)
Steve Palladino