Brain Fart

Post comments and questions about the two different Bicentennial O/R Designs
cuzzx

Brain Fart

Post by cuzzx » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:26 pm

Hope thats ok to say, Because that is what has happened to me tonight.

Where does the 1976-S proof silver ike and the 1976-S BU silver ike come from?

I have just gone blank-----Thinking ! ! !

H E L P !

19Lyds

Re: Brain Fart

Post by 19Lyds » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:03 am

Both coins were part of three piece BiCentennial Sets sold by the US Mint. Each set contained a 40% Silver clad BiCentennial Quarter, Half, and Dollar.

The proof coins came in Blue Folders with each coin in an Airtight capsules while the unc coins came in Red Packs.

Brain Farts aren't so bad, we all have them and they don't stink!
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

herbhicks

Post by herbhicks » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:57 am

Point of origin was San Francisco.

Oh, oh, sorry, OT, that reminds me of one of my favorite puzzlers.
Name a large California city that was named by the Spanish explorers in honor of St. Francis of Assisi.

cuzzx

Post by cuzzx » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:41 pm

Ok, I have the three coin set that comes in a blue package. Proof

What I need to work on my set is the red pack. BU

I was always told the red pack was the proof.

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:54 pm

Herb, both silver Ikes were minted in Saint Francis of ...., err, San Francisco, just like the previous SB Ikes, and from there the Bicentenial SB Ikes were shipped to the New York Assay Office for packaging and mailing and storage, ultimately lots of storage.

The '76 Bicentenial SB Ikes were minted in two batches, a first smaller was a smaller minting (but none-the-less it seems in a rush) and of mediocre quality (witness how relatively few PCGS MS67's exist) and their three-coin plyofilm packaging had a broad white line near one longer edge. The larger batch, I betcha, was shipped to NY in 1,000 coin bags as the quality of the stripeless packaging is pretty bad.

If anyone has more detailed info, love to hear it! Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

herbhicks

Post by herbhicks » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:52 pm

San Francisco is not the answer to my riddle since it was founded and named by Anglos from the East on the site of the Spanish Yerba Buena (spelling?). The Spanish Mission of San Francisco was in the general area but not at that exact spot.
Try again.

Texas

Post by Texas » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:29 pm

robEzerman wrote: The '76 Bicentenial SB Ikes were minted in two batches, a first smaller was a smaller minting (but none-the-less it seems in a rush) and of mediocre quality (witness how relatively few PCGS MS67's exist) and their three-coin plyofilm packaging had a broad white line near one longer edge. The larger batch, I betcha, was shipped to NY in 1,000 coin bags as the quality of the stripeless packaging is pretty bad.

That's good info to know Rob, I don't have too many any more, sold some off. I will have to go take a look at what I still have. What about the SB's with the white wintery scene packages, December 75? I do have a set I put back that were kinda of proofish like, on the Ike, I think, not sure what the packaging was though.

Hey Herb, I have no idea, you will need to help me out. Definitely was not good at history and being from the South, all I can remember is the Alamo? :lol:
I'm intrigued the most by what I know the least about... at least until I know more. - J. Owens

herbhicks

Post by herbhicks » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:37 pm

On July 31,1769 Gaspar de Portola leading a mission to establish Franciscan missions in California came upon a river. Being the feast day of St. Francis, they named the river in his honor - El Rio de Nuestra Senora, (Santa Maria), la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula [The River of our Lady, Saint Mary, the Queen of the Angels of Small Portion] after his favorite chapel.

A few days later they came across an Indian village on the river which they called - El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora, la Reina de los Angeles (del rio) de Porciuncula.

Thus the answer is Los Angeles for a large California city named by the Spanish in honor of St. Francis.

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:08 pm

Texas, only fair to give Brian Vaile credit for the info on the Bicentennial SB Ikes: he shipped me some examples and the stripeless plyofilm packages were even worse than the 71-S SB Ikes, really badly battered.

Herb, I should have guessed your question did not have an obvious answer! Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

DaveWantuck

Post by DaveWantuck » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:35 pm

Hey guys...
Not only does one get information on Ikes in here, but a history lesson to the boot... ;) ...I can say I've NEVER heard of Blue Folders containing the 1976 Proof's...I'm familiar with the Red packs, and the Blue packs with the SB Ikes....the old addage you learn something new every day is certainly true....I've purchased 1976 proofs in the past but they were already either in a 2x2 or clear plastic holders....you guys sure keep me on my toes.....great information!!!
Dave
p.s. while we're on the subject, are both type 1 and type 2 1976 Ikes in those Blue Folders????
"Life isn't about waiting for the
storm to pass...it's about learning
to dance in the rain"