Was a mint employee "signing" their work?

Post pictures, comments and questions about any other recognized or proposed die-state varieties
Sumdunce

Was a mint employee "signing" their work?

Post by Sumdunce » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:54 am

When I found the clusters in the eagle's legs I thought a mint employee was "signing" their work so they would know later that they refurbished that die if they ran across the coin later or got the die back to work on again (yeah, stretching it rather thin, I know).

Last night I ran across another die with dots.

Now I am wondering if this effect could be produced while sandblasting the die. My hypothesis is that a clump of metal got into the blast media and produced a deep impression on the die.

Take a look and decide for yourself.

Eagle legs:
71SBS_legs_dots.jpg
Three clusters of dots between the eagle's legs (1971-S business strike)
71SBS_legs_dots.jpg (43.78 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
DOLLAR:
71SPF_LL_dot.jpg
One cluster of dots below the LL of DOLLAR (1971-S silver proof)
71SPF_LL_dot.jpg (35.8 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
V/R

Sumdunce
Eschew obfuscation!

robEzerman

Re: Was a mint employee "signing" their work?

Post by robEzerman » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:55 pm

Sumdunce, could these be struck through fly maggots, LOL?????

Your idea of a blasted clump makes sense and if so, with luck, you might be able to tell from the frosting grain whether the direction of the clumps makes sense. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:32 pm

Sorry, but I don't know how to detect the direction of the frosting grain.

The eagle's legs one will get a DIVA cert. and the proof may get one also.

It will be a little time however since I spent all my coin reserves on my Ohio ninja hunt. :lol:

V/R

Sumdunce
Eschew obfuscation!

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:29 am

As a young man I had the opportunity to play with a sand plaster and IMO having clumps come out of the nozzle would have been difficult if not impossible to achieve.

I recall seeing that business between the Eagles Talons on something but can;t recall where. I expect it was some type of inadvertant damage to the die.
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:42 pm

Those dots can not be caused by the basting media used. Trust me on this one. I have extensive experience with various types of blasting and blasting media, from aluminum oxide to steel shot to walnuts shells to sand to glass bead. Even if a "clump" of somthing could get through the blasting system, it would in no way have near enough energy to cause that kind of impression . If the blasting method used could deliver anything through it's nozzle that could impart than kind of damage, relatively speaking that is, then the regular media would easily be eating into the surface readily all over and the detail would be "erased" from the die immediately. In fact, normal media froma sand blaster can readily wear away metal if focused on an area long enough and depending upon media used. However, that area would look washed or "blended" out with the surrounding area (a nice smooth depressed crater-like area); it would not leave anyting distinct and crisp like your pictures.

Almost certainly what you are seeing is die deterioration as fatigue builds up in the surface of the die from the many repetative strikes and the grains of the metal start to "pop" off the surface. This is not uncommon, even in some of today's dies. I believe Brian and Ehab ran across some Monroe dollars with the same phenomena this past year.

Andy
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:20 pm

Flaking away of the die makes sense except for the fact that the dots survived a clash with a resurfacing without altering their appearance or depth in any way.

I am still thinking striking damage happened to the die. Maybe it was dropped before the hardening process made the steel to resistant to such damage.

Rob, you got a good look at the pre and post clash versions... what is your opinion on the marks?

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:11 pm

Identical as far as I couold tell. Have to run, more later. . . Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman