Found a '71-S PF DDR-005, now what?

twitcherroo

Found a '71-S PF DDR-005, now what?

Post by twitcherroo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:48 am

Hello all. Yesterday I bought 9 '71 Brown IKE's for $5 each. I don't know a lot about them necessarily but I always pick them up when the price is right. Putting them under the microscope I'm certain I found a DDR-005 (FS-S1-1971S-801). I've been surprised on how little I can find on the internet about this coin - eBay shows none sold and none for sale. So I signed up here hoping you guys could shine some light on what exactly I have. Any information at all is appreciated. Also, any advice or guidance on what you'd do in my shoes is appreciated as well. Thanks, Joe
Attachments
IMG_4304.JPG
IMG_4306.JPG
IMG_4305.JPG

twitcherroo

Re: Found a '71-S PF DDR-005, now what?

Post by twitcherroo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:51 am

I now also believe I posted this in the wrong sub-forum, any way to move it to the variety or DDR section? Sorry about that.

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:16 pm

twitcherroo wrote:Hello all. Yesterday I bought 9 '71 Brown IKE's for $5 each. I don't know a lot about them necessarily but I always pick them up when the price is right. Putting them under the microscope I'm certain I found a DDR-005 (FS-S1-1971S-801). I've been surprised on how little I can find on the internet about this coin - eBay shows none sold and none for sale. So I signed up here hoping you guys could shine some light on what exactly I have. Any information at all is appreciated. Also, any advice or guidance on what you'd do in my shoes is appreciated as well. Thanks, Joe
Looks good to me.

And for the record, "A Place where Ike collectors can hang out" is just as good a forum as the die variety forum.
I only say that because it's really the only forum I go to.

Now, post more pictures.

What to do next? Break it out of that slab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QReZ10PiGA

Conserve it if necessary then send it to PCGS for slabbing.
If you do not have an CC account with PCGS, let me know, I'll happily submit it for you.
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

twitcherroo

Post by twitcherroo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:34 pm

19Lyds - thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I've never broken out a coin or submitted one for grading. I assume you're recommending this path because the coin is likely worth the effort?

Thanks.

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:54 pm

Great score, looks like you got one. As Lee said, if you don't have a PCGS membership, there are several of us who can help you with submission.

Thanks for joining, heck of a first post!
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

twitcherroo

Post by twitcherroo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:29 pm

AndyO wrote:Great score, looks like you got one. As Lee said, if you don't have a PCGS membership, there are several of us who can help you with submission.

Appreciate it. I don't have a membership and will need to explore a 'conserve & grade' path. Attached are a few more pictures of the whole coin. The holder is a little bit messed up. Looks like it got hot or something. Amazingly, I don't believe the coin is toned or clouded at all but again I really don't know a whole lot about PF IKE's. Thanks for looking.
Attachments
IMG_4312.JPG
IMG_4309.JPG
IMG_4313.JPG

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:07 pm

twitcherroo wrote:
AndyO wrote:Great score, looks like you got one. As Lee said, if you don't have a PCGS membership, there are several of us who can help you with submission.

Appreciate it. I don't have a membership and will need to explore a 'conserve & grade' path. Attached are a few more pictures of the whole coin. The holder is a little bit messed up. Looks like it got hot or something. Amazingly, I don't believe the coin is toned or clouded at all but again I really don't know a whole lot about PF IKE's. Thanks for looking.
Thats one helluva coin!
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:37 pm

WoW! :o CONGRATS!

That would be a "Grand Slam" here, and very worthy of the good old "You Suck!" award
they used to give out on the PCGS Forum.

I just re-joined PCGS again for the low-level of $69 so that I can submit again. You may want to
do the same. I wait until I have a decent sized batch and then send in...usually, maybe 3 per year.

I would normally wish you Happy Hunting!
But you seem to have that down already.

So, Happy Submitting! :D
Brian

twitcherroo

Post by twitcherroo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:37 pm

Brian - thanks. I found a '76-D Kennedy with a retained staple strike through on the reverse a year or so ago. Would like to send that one in too. I'll look into a PCGS membership and submit a handful. Thanks.

Does anyone have a guess on value? Really just want to make sure it's worth the trouble of submitting. I don't mean to reduce it to money but I really don't have an idea if it's a $10 coin, a $50 coin or a $250 coin. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:26 am

twitcherroo wrote:Brian - thanks. I found a '76-D Kennedy with a retained staple strike through on the reverse a year or so ago. Would like to send that one in too. I'll look into a PCGS membership and submit a handful. Thanks.

Does anyone have a guess on value? Really just want to make sure it's worth the trouble of submitting. I don't mean to reduce it to money but I really don't have an idea if it's a $10 coin, a $50 coin or a $250 coin. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.
Well, lets just say it's definitely NOT a $10, $50, or $250 coin. I would venture much better than $1,000 depending upon grade.