JOHN ROBERTS REPORT A COOL FIND

robEzerman

JOHN ROBERTS REPORT A COOL FIND

Post by robEzerman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:04 pm

john emailed me that he just found an Ike with the Prototype's reverse mated to a common obverse (though it is a minor tripled die).

This discovery is John's and he gave me permission to share it here, though he is planning to write it up for the ANACS web site.

If you need to refresh your memory of Lee's Prototype, go here: http://ikegroup.org/prototype.htm (just give time for the photos to down-load, they're big).

The photographs below are John's and there is no doubt the two reverses are identical.

A feather in our caps: John used our photographs of Lee's Prototype for reference, yet another sign that the foundation we are laying will look stronger and stronger as time goes by.

John, CONGRATULATIONS, GREAT FIND!!! Rob
Attachments
1971sikeprototyperevdiefullrev.jpg
JOHN ROBERT'S PHOTO OF HIS DISCOVERY, THE FIRST NEW EXAMPLE OF THE PROTOTYPE'S REVERSE
1971sikeodv004rdv0070101.JPG
1971sikeodv004rdv0070088.JPG
PROTOTYPE'S UNIQUE EARTH
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

19Lyds

Re: JOHN ROBERTS REPORT A COOL FIND

Post by 19Lyds » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:21 pm

Woo Hoo!

It's about time folks!

Can we get some pics of the obverse?

Whats the overall condition of the coin?

What area of the country did it come from anyway?
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:55 pm

Hi Rob,
I was going thru a submission with a bunch of Ikes and ran across the prototype reverse. It looks like the exact die you guys previously reported. There's a die gouge on the rim below the O of ONE that seems to be in the Ike Group website plate. The obverse is from the proof hub, CONECA's ODV-004. The finish on the coin is funky, hard to tell if it was intended to be a proof or a varient on the blue pack issue.It's almost a reverse cameo, much like Canadian Maple Leaf bullion pieces. Graded it as MS, but it really doesn't look anything like either 'normal' issue. Called it "PROTOTYPE REV & PROOF OBV" and "ODV-004/RDV-007"
The reverse has that wild looking Earth and you can barely see the islands off Florida. None of the raised lines of RDV-001 are present and the craters are smooth. On the obverse, the G of God has a serif and the R of LIBERTY has a foot. Ike's hair doesn't have the engraved incuse accent lines you find on the blue pack stuff.
Wild coin!
John Roberts
Attachments
1971sikeodv004rdv0070103.JPG
1971sikeodv004rdv0070109.JPG
1971sikeodv004rdv0070117.JPG
1971sikeprototyperevdiefullobv.jpg
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 am

The obverse NEEDS another look.

The serifs on the R are unlike any I've seen. They (and from what I can see of the E) extend out farther and thinner than any I've ever seen.

Tell John the coin needs some detailed analysis as I don't think he should simply accept it as an ODV-004 based upon the serifs. We all know that the serif on the R for the 1971-S was added and that serif does not look added.

I'm just sayin...............
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:26 am

I made a little composite:

Johns R, on the far right, does not even resemble an ODV-001 BS, on the far left, and I cannot believe for an instant that its an ODV-004. He really should sent this off to James Wiles for Attribution since slabbing it as ODV-004 would be a shame.

(Edited to add "my adjusted composite" with a photo from Variety Vista and to adjust the text to match the photo.)
Last edited by 19Lyds on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Way to go John!!

THANKS for bringing this to our attention. :shock:
Nice to know there is more than one "Prototype" Ike out there!
Hopefully, I'll find one some day soon and send it to ANACS for attribution! ;)

Happy Hunting!
Brian

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:01 pm

How about that! I hadn't really pondered this species in the last year. There must be more, I would think a lot of people could go right over top of these when looking if their brain is not trained to stop and look at those pick up points. I know I certainly haven't given the thought much conscious effort.''

Andy
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:08 am

I have been actively looking for another of these and after a few thousand of them I was beginning to doubt another would turn up.

Congratulations John!

Now lets see if another made it out of the mint. :)

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:37 am

FYI, this Ike is on its way to Wiles. Lee, good eyes. Rob

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:39 pm

Any word on this coin Yet??