1971D - What is going on here?

jaceravone

1971D - What is going on here?

Post by jaceravone » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:30 am

This is one of my favorite all time IKEs. It is one of my first graded/slabbed IKEs that I bought several years ago. It is also one of the best looking IKEs that I have. It has this awesome halo effect on the obverse and reverse with subtle hints of light blue and golden tones. I was glancing it over the other day and I noticed these strange marks on the reverse of the coin. At first I thought it was a die clash, but I can't seem to match it up with anything. Then I am wondering if they are die gouges. I tried to get close up shots so I hope these work for you all. Thanks for looking and helping. Joe
Attachments
IMG_7964.JPG
IMG_7963.JPG
IMG_7962.JPG
IMG_5507.JPG
IMG_5506.JPG
IMG_5504.JPG

Texas

Re: 1971D - What is going on here?

Post by Texas » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:28 am

That's a cool Ike there Joe! 8-)

Nice pics! It appears to be another die setter screwup like the Tiger Claw, where the grinding wheel did some damage to the die face.

The only thing that I can think of is maybe there was a date clash in that area?

Very cool, I would think it would be a nice IKe collectible and needs a good name! Too early in the morning though, I can't think of any. ;)

Jim
I'm intrigued the most by what I know the least about... at least until I know more. - J. Owens

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:00 am

Hey Joe,

Jim nailed it! A skipping grinding wheel. Was first reported lat year....I think Rob might have pics of it somewhere. We called it "Bear Claws" or "Grizzly Claws". I'm not sure if we ever firmly decided on which. Yours looks a lot nicer! Nice to know there is another one out there. A DIVA is born!. Maybe you can help us decide on the name, since we kind of "put it on the shelf" and never did. :?
Great Find!

Happy Hunting!
Brian

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:13 am

Joe, great coin!!!

Brian is right on - with your example we have a new DIVA. I believe Brian and LaMont posted photos a while back but you'll get at least partial credit for this DIVA'S discovery. Please let us know what you think of "BEAR CLAW IKE" (perhaps better than "Grizzly Claws Ike" as it's a syllable shorter and has more punch?). Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

shasta7

Post by shasta7 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:40 pm

Joe... nice coin... I myself like the namw "Bear Claw"... Rob is right with this name...

(makes a person just want to run out & get some... just don't bite into it... lol)
Dang it now, I need to go down to the farmers market & buy me some "bear claws"... the real kind
that you eat...

TZ

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:54 pm

I love those "Bear Claws" that you eat!...Usually get one at the fair.

Seriously though,...I went through over 3,500 1971-D Ikes this Summer and only came up with a couple of these. They are not easy to find, but probably naked-eye easy to spot, if you happen to run across one. I love the fact that we now have multiple examples....that makes it an easy decision.
Another DIVA is born!! :D I can go with "Bear Claws" (It does look like more than one paw is involved).

Happy Hunting!
Brian

jaceravone

Post by jaceravone » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:14 pm

I don't know why I was thinking about this, but I was at work today and I was trying to describe this error to someone and the best way I was able to describe it was "wolverine claws". LOL! Probably too long and too many syllables like Rob suggests, but there is this local kid that has a "wolverine" car around town. He has these wolverine claws coming all through the car. This is what these marks reminded me of is the wolverine claw marks. Love these IKEs Dudes!!!! :ugeek:

jaceravone

Post by jaceravone » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:46 pm

Just reviving at 3 year old post of mine. A few questions, first....what was decided about a name for this? I know most of you were going with Bear Claw. I wrote down Grizzly Claw in my book.

Second, is this officially a DIVA?

Lastly, I had this coin to the side for the past three years because I honestly thought it should have graded a 66. It is a super nice looking coin. I just didn't want to spend the money to take a chance on upgrading it. So a few weeks ago I sent it off to CAC and low and behold, it came back with the green football. Out of the 8 IKEs I sent in, only 3 came back with the green football. Disappointing to say the least, but at least they confirmed all along what I have felt with this coin that it is at least solid for the grade if not a tad undergraded.

Would love to add the red football on it. Thanks for the help.

Joe

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:27 am

Yo, Joe, are Ike's hair details possibly too weak for MS66?

I nominate Brian to add a Red Bean to your holder. The Bear Claw is a legitimate DIVA, of this I have no doubts. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

jaceravone

Post by jaceravone » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:46 am

robEzerman wrote:Joe, great coin!!!

Brian is right on - with your example we have a new DIVA. I believe Brian and LaMont posted photos a while back but you'll get at least partial credit for this DIVA'S discovery. Please let us know what you think of "BEAR CLAW IKE" (perhaps better than "Grizzly Claws Ike" as it's a syllable shorter and has more punch?). Rob
Hey Rob, good to hear from you. Just remember what you said above.....so this means that I get a footnote in your new book!!! ;) :mrgreen: