Sorting Large Quantity of Circulated Bank Bag Ike's

oldgolfguy

Sorting Large Quantity of Circulated Bank Bag Ike's

Post by oldgolfguy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:35 pm

I just received $3000.00 of bank bag Ike coins from the Pennsylvania region. What is you best advice for sorting, cherry picking, liquidating extra coins, and storage of the select coins? I had the good fortune of purchasing the Special Edition of Collectible Ike Varieties and will provide a review in the near future. I have done this once before ($2,000), however, due to a lack of knowledge at the time, I let some really really good ones go back into circulation. I have months of work ahead and want to make the most of my time with this hobby. Any and all advice is appreciated! Thank you in advance.

OldGolfGuy

19Lyds

Re: Sorting Large Quantity of Circulated Bank Bag Ike's

Post by 19Lyds » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:24 pm

My advice is first by date then by mint mark. Then, as mundane and boring as it might get, go through each coin 1 at a time.

I always start with the motto, then the R then the temple area then the mint mark. I then flip the coin over and check out the reverse starting with UNITED and working my way around the perimeter lettering to ONE DOLLAR. Oh Yeah, I always check the Earth to insure that the reverse type is correct for the obverse type.

If you are looking for detailed specifics, good luck. 3,000 IKE's would last me a very, very long time for a thorough examination. I have rolls that I've had for years that I still go through when some other unique feature gets identified.

Of course, you could simply go through and separate out all the 1971-D's and then the 1972's looking for FEV's and Type 2's but then that takes all the fun out of it and is really an extremely simplistic method which would yweild ONLY any possible FEV's or Type 2's Money making coins yes but there are many, many more interesting things to look for.

Good Luck on whatever you decide.
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

oldgolfguy

Post by oldgolfguy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:46 pm

19lyds Great advice, I thank you and please dish out more as I move forward. I opened my first clear plastic $1,000 bag and poured the IKE's out into a big plastic bin (like you keep under your bed) set up good lighting. My emotions got the best of me and I did a quick sort and cherry of all of the shiny, dull, beat-up coins that caught my attention. These will go in a special place for later fun. The next thing I am doing is passing each coin trough my hands and pulling the “interesting” coins once again for further inspection in my personal collection. I am 500 coins into this sort then the more detailed sort by date, mint mark….. Only spent 2hrs with the collection.
Some things I noticed:
Those 1971 D mint coins are AWSOME! They just look great!
The 1974 coins are a close second.
I love the Dark Grey/greenish patina on some of the 1971 and 1972 coins.
7 of the Ike coins were gold plated, what a surprise! I love them.

Attention Ike group: If you want me to keep you updated to some finds, I can verbally tell you about them but I do not have the equipment to photo them. Old equipment is welcome!

Old golf guy

oldgolfguy

Post by oldgolfguy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Update: 2 more hours spent with the little Ikes, 1000 first search complete, took out the ones that I liked at first glance.........

What Great Coins! In the first bag, no s or s proofs. However the toning is hurting my eyes, the poor cut edges have cut my filthy dingy fingers and my back is getting a workout. My psyche is transposing between dreams and reality. Everything looks the same…however different. Is that a keeper? Put it in that pile. Look at this one. Back pocket. Holy Jackass what a coin! Over and Over and Over. Like they say, the first 1,000 is the hardest.
This feels like a cross between storage wars and survivor. You know you have something special; however, do you have the stamina and strength learn all you can….
Any help on camera equipment and I can share the photos……… I am willing to trade for Ikes.

I really like Ike
oldgolfguy

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:46 am

How much for the gold plated IKE's?
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

oldgolfguy

Post by oldgolfguy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:33 pm

Fair question. I don't know. I made it through all of the bags, I ended up with 8 gold plated Ike's. Various dates and all were circulated more or less i guess. but if so, how did I get 7 in one bag and 1 in the next. (must be a collecion) I understand this may be fairly common, but if so that is 8 out of 5000 for me. Unique? don't know I could plate them it myself i guess. So any comments are welcome and make an offer and you can have a few of them.

I plan on spending some time on the "coins wanted" portion of the site. If you have any additional special requests, make them soon. I will take your advice and seperate by mint mark next.

I did find the 1976 Die Adjustment strike coin on page 4 chapter 11 Eisenhower Dollar Diva secition of the new special edition book!

OGG

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:41 pm

"I did find the 1976 Die Adjustment strike coin on page 4 chapter 11 Eisenhower Dollar Diva secition of the new special edition book!"

Now THAT'S one NICE find!!!!!! :D

Keep on Huntin'
Brian

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:30 pm

Don't overlook the fields! The Tiger Claw 71-D is always a wonderful find as are various 71-D reverses with images in the field like Sluggo's "Shooting Star" and Vaile's "Grizzly Claw", to say nothing of various clash images that appear in the fields because it is the fields that clash, not the devices.

Lee is correct that one has to focus on letters and numbers in order not to miss doubling, interesting MDD and the like. BUt one also has to sweep the fields in order not to miss what otherwise would be overlooked (and has been overlooked all these years). Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman