So, uh...I found this Ike...

AndyO
Site Admin

So, uh...I found this Ike...

Post by AndyO » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:26 pm

For those of you who don't start out on our home page, I would urge you to check out a new article we have just posted. We've unveiled some pretty new and neat-o Ikes in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. Let's just say we've landed a "Third of it's kind", and you're reading about it here first!

The article will be with Coin Week tomorrow, and I suspect other publications will have the story over the next 30 or so days.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

DaveWantuck

Re: So, uh...I found this Ike...

Post by DaveWantuck » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:40 pm

Andy......this is like an Alfred Hitchcock thriller.....does this have anything to do with the new Ike book coming out :?: ....anyway, lets see what tomorrow brings...thanks for 'leaking' your story here
Dave
"Life isn't about waiting for the
storm to pass...it's about learning
to dance in the rain"

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:00 pm

Dave, let's cut right to it: this is arguably THE BIGGEST Ike discovery during the last year, and definitely ranks in the top 5 of all time Ikes.

You can read a little about the first two here: http://forums.collectors.com/messagevie ... did=619594, as well as the December 3, 2007 issue of Coin World. Rumor has it there was a fourth years ago, but there is no hard documentation available.

This coin is unique, in that it not only is the ultra-rare Type I reverse, but it is paired with and FS-103, AND it was found in what is to date the first seen box of this type.

A LOT of people have been diligently looking for these coins with no success since the 2 were discovered in 2007.

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:50 pm

The FS-103 that I purchased from Brian has a MM placement that is nearly the same (the angle of the photo in your article and my phot differ a bit), and the reverse is Type 2 high relief.

Beyond that, comparing MM placement and any other obverse die markers will likely take side by side comparision.

Great find and great article!
Steve Palladino

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:43 am

The coin is actually, a "Fourth of a Kind" since David Schaetzle submitted one to James Wiles of CONECA in 1998 and two were attributed by JP Martin while he worked for ICG in late 2007 by an unnamed submitter.
1971-S Type 1 Reverse DDO-016 Annotated.jpg
71203 Coin World IKE T1 Proof-01DA.jpg
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:45 am

AOskam wrote:Dave, let's cut right to it: this is arguably THE BIGGEST Ike discovery during the last year, and definitely ranks in the top 5 of all time Ikes.

You can read a little about the first two here: http://forums.collectors.com/messagevie ... did=619594, as well as the December 3, 2007 issue of Coin World. Rumor has it there was a fourth years ago, but there is no hard documentation available.

This coin is unique, in that it not only is the ultra-rare Type I reverse, but it is paired with and FS-103, AND it was found in what is to date the first seen box of this type.

A LOT of people have been diligently looking for these coins with no success since the 2 were discovered in 2007.
Do you suppose that the listing in the CONECA Files would be hard enough documentation Andy?
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:10 am

We're aware of the fourth coin, but, without it being available and only a listing in CONECA, we haven't decided if that's "official" enough for the rest of the world.

Funny the world needs celebrity status (a TPG recognition/slab) these days to be official. We're happy to acknowledge it if everyone is.

Cmorgan

Post by Cmorgan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:26 am

the fourth coin is also dubious. it may very well be real, but those we've spoken too have not specifically demonstrated confidence in its existence. Personally, I think it probably does exist but erred on the side of caution.

Also, the other coins may very well NOT be this coin. The FS-103 on this coin was identified by Andy. The others have a different DDO that Wiles says is not FS-103.

The big get on the coin is the box, at this point. If the other examples came from this box, the owners weren't forthcoming.

Now you know because we told you.

Everything else is semantics.

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:07 am

Observations from the representative coin depicted and described in the Coin World article posted by Lee and the photos of Andy's new find:
1) the MM placement appears to be the same
2) the appearance of the stars and e pluribus unum (low cameo or nearly lost) are very similar

Could the two ICG coins have been FS-103 and not identified as such?
Steve Palladino

HerbHicks

Post by HerbHicks » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:41 am

Hey Andy,

Lee's post of the Schaeizle coin listed by Wiles shows a doubled reverse - DDR-004.

I haven't seen that mentioned for yours. Does it have it?