Baltimore Stack Bowers auction

SteveP
Global Moderater

Baltimore Stack Bowers auction

Post by SteveP » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:58 pm

What happened with the 1972 T2 (March) CAC PCGS MS65?
No sale?
Steve Palladino

AndyO
Site Admin

Re: Baltimore Stack Bowers auction

Post by AndyO » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:30 pm

I did not see what happend to any of the Ikes. Anyone care to give some information to those of us too lazy to look them up?

Anyone bother looking at them in hand?
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:56 pm

Thank you, Andy. If anyone can give a report, thank you.

I do know that the 72 T2 PCGS MS65 CAC (and it clearly had March release markers) did not sell. $0 nada.
I'm wondering what happened. The last 72 T2 PCGS MS65 CAC (also with March release markers) was auctioned on Heritage back at FUN (IIRC) for $4800.
Steve Palladino

hightidetech

Post by hightidetech » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:06 pm

Winter Baltimore T2 was a MS66 CAC, not MS65 and it did not sell. The 1971 MS66+ CAC went for 10,281.25. There is another (or the same up on eBay now for 12k). The 1976-D Type 1 MS66+ went for 1,410 and I'm pretty happy with it ;-)

coinkat

Post by coinkat » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:07 am

That seems to be a terrific result for the 1971-

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:01 pm

hightidetech wrote:Winter Baltimore T2 was a MS66 CAC, not MS65 and it did not sell.
I was referring to this one (the MS65 2T2-101.2), NOT this one (MS66 2T2-101.2). Since neither one as sold, I guess the same questions applies. Why? What happened?
Steve Palladino

THUNDRLIPZ

Post by THUNDRLIPZ » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:06 pm

I am beginning to wonder more and more if half of the advanced Ike Market is becoming very weary of Ike's in general and the other half is seeing everyone dropping their "high end Ikes" like candy on ebay and the auction sites. When is the last time so many 1971-P MS66 CAC's have been for sale? How many of them were MS65 or MS65+ that got upgraded with the advent of plus grading? When have so many Proof 70 coins been on the market at the same time? Regardless of how people feel about them not really being worthy of PF70, truth is, there are many collector's/investors out there that would prefer a PF70 that is quasi to a PF69 that rocks simply because it advances them up the magical rankings system.

Then, how many CAC's have you seen that you asked yourself... why is it cac'd to begin with? There are some serious issues with our beloved series and I believe the market has really tanked. The only ones who can afford to sit on their coins are probably those who cherry picked them to begin with and don't have much invested. Myself, I buy my coins because I like them and will hold on to them if possible, will upgrade whenever I can within reason, and look for the best piece I can get. But truth is, a plethora of 71-P's at 66 and one of them probably can be had for $1,500? Why isn't everyone jumping?

I saw that 72-P Type 2 at the FUN show in 14 that sold for $4,800. It was a solid 65 in my opinion but $4,800? Just someone buying the green beano for bragging rights. How many of those investors/collectors are out there?

I am going to enjoy sitting back and watching these big coins up for sale in a week and see how they go. Either way, it's almost too dangerous to pull the trigger unless you find a coin you just can't live without. Just my thoughts...
Ever Dance with the Devil by the Pale Moon Light?

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:18 pm

THUNDRLIPZ wrote:When have so many Proof 70 coins been on the market at the same time? Regardless of how people feel about them not really being worthy of PF70, truth is, there are many collector's/investors out there that would prefer a PF70 that is quasi to a PF69 that rocks simply because it advances them up the magical rankings system.
If I had a PR70 that I wasn't sure would make a QA sticker later this year, I would be dumping it right now. I have a feeling the QA taking on the stickering of Ike proofs will have a significant effect on relative values of PR69 DCAM and PR70 DCAM Ikes.
THUNDRLIPZ wrote:But truth is, a plethora of 71-P's at 66 and one of them probably can be had for $1,500? Why isn't everyone jumping?
I think that it is several-fold:
1) There isn't that much "every" when it comes to "everyone" in the top-end registry Ike collector base. How many of us are there? 10? 15?
2) There are other things competing for those $1500. For me, gold has become more attractive.
3) If there are others like me, whether the coin has a CAC sticker may play a role. For me, absent an appealing coin with a CAC sticker, I'm not considering the upgrade, unless the coin really wows me.
THUNDRLIPZ wrote:I am going to enjoy sitting back and watching these big coins up for sale in a week and see how they go. Either way, it's almost too dangerous to pull the trigger unless you find a coin you just can't live without. Just my thoughts...
It will be interesting to watch. I just wish that I had booked my trip there to be there in person. Next year for sure.
Last edited by SteveP on Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Palladino

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:23 pm

The collecting market in general is still uneducated on Ikes and value. However, if I compare today with 10 years ago, it's night and day. Ten years ago to 20 years ago saw a massive swing in thought as well.

In my opinion, one can't judge this series in what I feel is a relatively short picture of time. Quite honestly, I see the same general value concepts and discussions being hashed out as they were over the years, it's just that the numbers associated to them have advanced.

What the series desperately needs, and has not had yet, is an auction of a major high-end collection, one with some real show stoppers. We get the one here, 2 there coins up for auction, but I can't remember any time that a full collection of 20-30 high end Ikes have ever hit the block. It's actually kind of interesting that this series has never had that happen. Is it the stigma of modern coinage? Or is it simply far too young yet?
Authorized CAC and QA dealer