Naming Bicentennial Clashes

Post pictures, comments and questions about this category of Ikes (Die clash overlay diagram inside)
1872Hokie

Re: Naming Bicentennial Clashes

Post by 1872Hokie »

Well, I guess my George Bailey suggestion isn't going to gain any traction (worth a shot).
So here are my new suggestions for the two primary clashes.
"Nose Clash":
"Yolk Clash":
There are several other clashes on this coin that I think would clasify as "Bicentennial Volunteers." This keeps the terminology similar. The most prominent is on the back of Ike's Neck, stemming from a clash with the Moon on the Reverse:
Other "Bicentennial Volunteers" can be found on the Reverse. Once this gets back from grading I'll do what I can to get some better photos and document the clashes.
Last edited by 1872Hokie on Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back to the Hunt...
-Bryan

1872Hokie

Post by 1872Hokie »

SteveP wrote:Bryan,
What year and mint? (I'm guessing 1976D Type 2)
I now also have a second example, but this one is a 1976-P Type 2. Obverse and Reverse clashes are present.
Back to the Hunt...
-Bryan

shasta7

Post by shasta7 »

1872Hokie...

I myself like the name calling it a George Bailey... lol or how about George BELLY... lol
as far as the obv... I have 1 or 2 of the same... (clash above the WE)... to me it looks like
an outline of a Castle.... so you can call it a Castle Top!! since it is above WE... & outline
is of the upper portion of a castle...

Cool looking clashes regardless... back to hunting... :-)

shasta7

Post by shasta7 »

Steve & Bryan...

just to try to help... I also have one of these... clashes are not as pronounced but same clashes...
Get this though... the one I have is a P- Phila coin... (shame the rev has corrosion on it...)

OBV... Bell Clash Line which goes above WE to ikes neck & a lil bit on it...
Mine coin also has a clash on OBV above ike's lip & below his nose... also has what looks like a hair lip mark but location is above the eye brow... also has die clash of earth line coming from behind ike's neck...

REV... (Ike Nose clash or the George Bailey angel)... then a small clash which looks like back of Ike's neck line...

that is about all I can see... just letting ya know...

1872Hokie

Post by 1872Hokie »

shasta,
I have two of these clashed bicentennials in my collection, and currently both are at (or on their way to) PCGS. The first one is the one I mentioned in my original post. It has the most obvious clashes and it is a 76-D T2. The second coin has the same clashes, but not as distinct. It does have planchet chatter, but still a good example. This second clashed bicentennial is a 76-P T2.
Back to the Hunt...
-Bryan

shasta7

Post by shasta7 »

Thanks Bryan for the update...

Do let us know how things turned out when you get them back from TPG... ok

1872Hokie

Post by 1872Hokie »

Well, my 76-D T2 came back from PCGS as MS-64. Pretty happy with this grade (especially since the rest of the lot was a massacre).
My clashed 76-P T2 is at PCGS right now. Fingers crossed they are kinder to that lot of coins...
Back to the Hunt...
-Bryan

shasta7

Post by shasta7 »

Thanks for the update on your coins... really appreciate letting us know...

Glad you got a good grade on the one coin & hope your other lot gets some great grades too!!

1872Hokie

Post by 1872Hokie »

Thanks, I am hoping for the best with my 76p T2. A matched clashed set would be pretty cool to own.
Back to the Hunt...
-Bryan

shasta7

Post by shasta7 »

yeah that would be kinda cool...

Return to “Die clash images for talon head (TH), hair lip (HL) jaw line (JL), moon line (ML) upside down U (UDU), and clipped E (EC)”