NGC to PCGS

ils21

NGC to PCGS

Post by ils21 »

Great to be here. I recently acquired a 1972-P Type 2 graded MS65 by NGC, The balance of my
collection is all graded by PCGS. My question is would it be worth it to send the coin to PCGS
to have it cross graded and what are the chances that it would actually grade the same at
PCGS. I would be happy to post pictures, but the pictures on NGC are probably better and
would do the coin more justice than my photography skills. THe cert #2101985-003.

AndyO
Site Admin

Re: NGC to PCGS

Post by AndyO »

Those are some dark NGC pictures. That aside, my first reaction was a typical NGC MS5 grade on a T2. Meaning, it's a great MS64. Lots of unstruck annealing marks. Given my experience crossing to PCGS, this one won't make it. Although, I have most certainly seen that level coin in PCGS holders.

In other words, given it would come to them in an NGC holder, they will inherently be more stringent when evaluating - they always are. "We're PCGS, that isn't good enough to cross at the same grade". If there is even 10% doubt in the regrading process, it's not going to cross. The coin has to be a hands-down, no doubt, slam-dunk. This coin is not that.

You literally would have a better chance hitting MS65 by cracking that out and submitting raw. Obviously a risk. But I can tell you from experience, PCGS can easily grade the same coin two grades apart on two different occasions. I've done the "experiment" several times - both business strike and proof.

I have submitted numerous crossover submissions to PCGS with NGC coins over the years to have NONE cross - like, 10 - 20 coin submissions. The submissions I have had cross it was only 1 out of 5 on average. I've actually had a much better success rate cracking out and submitting raw. Again, this can be an expensive risk. Know how to grade Ikes before going down that road.

If I'm not mistaken by the dark pictures, you have a March T2.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile »

Welcome ils21! :D
Nice coin, but I agree with Andy, highly doubtful that one will cross to PCGS. In fact, I believe that was one I had made back around 2006 because that serial number sure looks familiar! :shock: Back then, if I felt more than likely that it would not land in a 65 at PCGS, I'd send it to NGC and cross my fingers.

James Sego taught me something many years ago for "borderline" Ikes like that: "It's worth a lot more in an NGC MS65 holder, than it is in a PCGS MS64 holder." And he was right! That still holds true today, so personally, I wouldn't risk the crack out route for that particular coin. Nothing wrong with a Type 2 in a 65 holder. Still a very tough coin! Congrats!

I had a darker Type 2 land in a NGC 65 not long after:
https://coins.www.collectors-society.co ... x?sc=10231
Tried to get the "toning" off, with no luck, before realizing it was lightly sintered. There was a another Type 2 just like it in the same roll that was also sintered and landed in MS64.

Happy Hunting!
Brian
Last edited by BrianVaile on Mon May 03, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ils21

Post by ils21 »

BrianVaile wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:02 pm
Welcome ils21! :D
Nice coin, but I agree with Andy, highly doubtful that one will cross to PCGS. In fact, I believe that was one I had made back around 2006 because that serial number sure looks familiar! :shock: Back then, if I felt more than likely that it would not land in a 65, I'd send it to NGC and cross my fingers.

James Sego taught me something many years ago for "borderline" Ikes like that: "It's worth a lot more in an NGC MS65 holder, than it is in a PCGS MS64 holder." And he was right! That still holds true today, so personally, I wouldn't risk the crack out route for that particular coin. Nothing wrong with a Type 2 in a 65 holder. Still a very tough coin! Congrats!

I had a darker Type 2 land in a NGC 65 not long after:
https://coins.www.collectors-society.co ... x?sc=10231
Tried to get the "toning" off, with no luck, before realizing it was lightly sintered. There was a another Type 2 just like it in the same roll that was also sintered and landed in MS64.

Happy Hunting!
Brian
Thank you so much for the info. It is a tough coin to get in a 65 and by no means do I regret buying it. I do wish it was a PCGS coin but I had to start somewhere, it became available and I do feen I got a good deal on the coin. I’m constantly on the lookout and who knows, it may become trade bait down the road for an upgrade.