So, uh...I found this Ike...

AndyO
Site Admin

Re: So, uh...I found this Ike...

Post by AndyO »

Interesting. I like what I'm seeing. Got anything you can copy and past here?
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO »

Never mind, I missed your link. Here it is:
Nixon diary for proof presentation.JPG
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP »

Just realized on reading the entry again: it appears proofs were presented to both, the President and Mrs. Eisenhower.
Steve Palladino

HerbHicks

Post by HerbHicks »

<<I would guess that the Nixon box was part of the presentation, and that it was produced in the weeks prior. Since the Nixon box appears to be from the same manufacturer/producer of the regular mint brown boxes, that could be a lead. Does anyone know what company produced those for the mint? If they are still in business, perhaps their July 1971 records might list how many of the Nixon boxes were produced?>>

For a time, the Dennison manufacturing company made holders for the mint at a factory a mile or two from my house. That factory is long gone and perhaps all of Dennison is now.

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP »

HerbHicks wrote:For a time, the Dennison manufacturing company made holders for the mint at a factory a mile or two from my house. That factory is long gone and perhaps all of Dennison is now.
Herb, in what state was that?

I did find this: "Dennison Manufacturing is now a subsidiary of Avery-Dennison. They merged together in 1991."
Here: http://www.justanswer.com/general/0cgfz ... mpany.html
Could it be? :?:

Edit: from the Avery Dennison website, under the heading of products: "Consumer Packaged Goods
Functional packaging solutions and eye-catching shelf presentation can be the difference between product sales and consumer indifference. We work directly with our customers in consumer packed goods to design, develop and deliver innovative functional packaging solutions that enhance and protect the value of their products."

Edit #2: More on Avery Dennison: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avery_Dennison
Steve Palladino

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman »

SteveP, Can't you see Tricky Dicky at the event going out of his way to personally hand Mamie one of his Presentation Boxes? I see him, like the Peter Sellers' role in "Dr. Strangelove", losing control, grinning ear to ear, thrusting his arms in the air repeatedly, unable to restrain this revenge impulse for his perceived mistreatment and lack of support from Ike.

NB, Nixon was one of our more successful Presidents, IMHO, especially from the perspective of several important issues where he did what he was moved to do (in the manner of Friends) rather than staying comfortable in well worn political trenches. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

HerbHicks

Post by HerbHicks »

<<Herb, in what state was that?>>

Massachusetts. The home office was in Framingham. One of my neighbors was a salesman for the same group that made the mint products. Unfortunately, he is now deceased.

I have another friend who worked for the company. His mind is now gone.

I hope I'm not next for these events. My memory is not what it used to be.

I am trying to remember when they made the mint holders. I think it was a few years around 1976.

edit: I don't think they were involved as early as 1971.

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP »

The Dennison Manufacturing lead seems warm enough to follow through with an inquiry to the Avery Dennison people about Brown Box production in 1971 in general, and the Nixon box in specific. Andy?
Steve Palladino

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP »

More details on the July 27, 1971 presentation: (scroll to page 18 of the document) http://whitehousetapes.net/findingaid/nixon/547
This site may have audio tapes available, but I'm having trouble downloading anything. Conversation 547-7 would have the presentation.
Steve Palladino

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman »

I also had no luck with the audio download. I'd like to blame Windows-8 which has been largely a pain to figure out. Hope one of us can succeed. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman