1971S Nightcrawler

pappyxyz1

Re: 1971S Nightcrawler

Post by pappyxyz1 »

Wi
Last edited by pappyxyz1 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilikeikes

Post by ilikeikes »

Let's get real here...right NOW...what would a PF68 PCGS slabbed crawler get in the marketplace? I wouldn't think people outside of the small world of IKE nuts would be interested...are the top end IKE Collector's in here(and, I suppose of few NOT in here), so competitive, they will do(pay) anything so they can have it on the collector's universe series?
Like most new coin finds, the prices start very high, then drop and stabilize somewhere...as populations of crawlers increase(see above post by Andy), things will settle down...have we accepted the "struck through debris" answer for this? I'd like to see a list of all the other theories on what we think caused this..I am in no position to add a theory, until I have one in hand, and can study the area. Do we have ANY idea what time frame this die was minted? Were not proof serif R's all later 1971 productions?
Calvin
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP »

ilikeikes wrote:...have we accepted the "struck through debris" answer for this? I'd like to see a list of all the other theories on what we think caused this..I am in no position to add a theory, until I have one in hand, and can study the area.
That would be hubbed through debris. Struck through would yield an incuse element. This is part of the relief. (See photo)

Hubbed through debris makes sense, but that is one well placed and geometrically shaped feature. Hubbed through debris is likely, but there is an element of doubt.

I've also read conjecture that it is an intentional die gouge / modification / mischief. (I'd like to believe this one.)

Another that I've read was that it is metal that broke off and slid into its current place. (I don't buy this one, as there is no identifiable source - eg, no missing segment in any device compared to other 71S SPs.)
Attachments
nightcrawler up close and personal
nightcrawler up close and personal
Steve Palladino

ilikeikes

Post by ilikeikes »

Thanks Steve..most of us like conundrums...this is a good one!
Calvin
Mark Twain

pappyxyz1

Post by pappyxyz1 »

Do
Last edited by pappyxyz1 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP »

Steve Palladino

ilikeikes

Post by ilikeikes »

Mark Twain

pappyxyz1

Post by pappyxyz1 »

The cat's outta the bag I guess, the one that sold tonight was purchased by moi.
Last edited by pappyxyz1 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO »

Look at that - 13 already...

As far as how it was created, I see the conspiracy theorists are ready to go. This country always loves a good conspiracy. Based on what we've seen and know, I'm sticking with the hubbed through debris hypothethsis. One, because I'm the one who suggested it to Brian when he submitted the first one to ANACS and that's what he wrote to them, but, more importantly because it seems to make the most sense. Ultimatley we'll never really know for sure.

Check our older posts (somewhere), as I recall that Brian has one with a shorter worm - meaning that something fell out of the die (hence the hubbed through debris) and then created the longer worm. You could actually see the worm outline continuing on the end of the shorter one where debris had yet to fall out of the die.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile »

Hey!.....What's that about you sayin' Brian has the shorter worm?! :o

Them's fightin' words down South! :twisted:

I was going to side with Andy's original hypothesis....until the short worm comment! ;)

Happy Hunting!
Brian