Pertty sure Ive found a `71-S Prototype Silver Ike....

rtc535

Re: Pertty sure Ive found a `71-S Prototype Silver Ike....

Post by rtc535 »

There is no absolute proof that these in fact came out of blue packs. Only here say and then there's Chuck.

Mine was raw and in a tube as I remember asking the seller to put it in a flip instead of with the rest of the coins I was buying.

Why weren't they destroyed? Who knows. I just know that many IKE's are passed over simply "because" they are IKE's. The 1973-S CnClad Business Strike I got at the bank several years ago is just an example. It's an IKE so it just got passed off until someone finally recognized it for what it was.
Oh, I agree, but IMHO, I still believe they came from Blue packs. As I see it, there really only two ways for these prototypes to get into the public, either an employee took them out or they were in Blue packs. At least those are the two most likely ways. Again, is someone walked them out, then the person revieving them would know they were special. If there in blue packs, that just seems more likely to me. Your statement " just know that many IKE's are passed over simply "because" they are IKE's" is proving my point for me ;) I still believe there are many Blue packs unopened because of that reason. Its an Ike, Ill get to that later, as the preception is there all of poor quality, especially the '71-S Blues. Plus, these coins can be reall hard to see while its still in the mint cello.

Oh, I believe Ill be sending this coin out to PCGS at the end of the month with a bunch of other stuff for grading!!!! :mrgreen:
RussC

HerbHicks

Post by HerbHicks »

<<Why weren't they destroyed? Who knows. I just know that many IKE's are passed over simply "because" they are IKE's. The 1973-S CnClad Business Strike I got at the bank several years ago is just an example. It's an IKE so it just got passed off until someone finally recognized it for what it was.>>

Speaking of weird bank finds in the old days, I have found 1 1973, 1 1973D and 3 1971S BS. The 1971 S were all found together in a bunch of ten from the bank. The strange thing about them was they had no bag marks at all.

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds »

rtc535 wrote:
There is no absolute proof that these in fact came out of blue packs. Only here say and then there's Chuck.

Mine was raw and in a tube as I remember asking the seller to put it in a flip instead of with the rest of the coins I was buying.

Why weren't they destroyed? Who knows. I just know that many IKE's are passed over simply "because" they are IKE's. The 1973-S CnClad Business Strike I got at the bank several years ago is just an example. It's an IKE so it just got passed off until someone finally recognized it for what it was.
Oh, I agree, but IMHO, I still believe they came from Blue packs. As I see it, there really only two ways for these prototypes to get into the public, either an employee took them out or they were in Blue packs. At least those are the two most likely ways. Again, is someone walked them out, then the person revieving them would know they were special. If there in blue packs, that just seems more likely to me. Your statement " just know that many IKE's are passed over simply "because" they are IKE's" is proving my point for me ;) I still believe there are many Blue packs unopened because of that reason. Its an Ike, Ill get to that later, as the preception is there all of poor quality, especially the '71-S Blues. Plus, these coins can be reall hard to see while its still in the mint cello.

Oh, I believe Ill be sending this coin out to PCGS at the end of the month with a bunch of other stuff for grading!!!! :mrgreen:
RussC
What is the status of the PCGS Submission or did that NOT occur since the population still sits at one?
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

coinkat

Post by coinkat »

It would be fun to see the grade if this one... I suppose the pop report can be monitored and we will know when that happens

rtc535

Post by rtc535 »

Wow,
How time flies, sent in to PCGS Monday, so 4-6 weeks. Only took a year to get this done.

RussC

[quote="19Lyds"}
What is the status of the PCGS Submission or did that NOT occur since the population still sits at one?[/quote]

rtc535

Post by rtc535 »

Ok,
It was finally accepted by PCGS! So I guess 3.5-5.5 weeks from here.

The grade should be lower than Lyds. The large rim gauge on the neck should make it a SP64, maybe lower. If its a SP65 or higher, its a bad grade, in my mind! But well see.

RussC

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds »

rtc535 wrote:Ok,
It was finally accepted by PCGS! So I guess 3.5-5.5 weeks from here.

The grade should be lower than Lyds. The large rim gauge on the neck should make it a SP64, maybe lower. If its a SP65 or higher, its a bad grade, in my mind! But well see.

RussC
Meh! It wouldn't be the first time they missed something.

I still do not understand why my coin is so low on the grading scale. It has the same finish as the 64 SMS coins but gets penalized for (as Gordon Wrubel stated) " the opaque film over contact on the forehead, hair, high cheekbone and lower jaw; a few contact marks on “WE” and the tip of the bust: a scattering of smaller spots on either side; and an environmental film about the peripheries."
DSCN6104.JPG
DSCN6104.JPG
What's an "environmental film" anyway?
Attachments
1971S Obv LL.jpg
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

Jonahbhamilton

Post by Jonahbhamilton »

I have two proof 1971 S brown box ikes. One is very grey blue and rusted in some places with a questionable doubled mint mark, while the other looks like you’d expect. What are the three 1971 ike varieties and how can I tell if it was a proof using a new die with rust on it/ hence the messed up ghostly coin that wound up encased in a proof brown woodgrain box? MY pic ability sucks right now> Please tell me what to look for? :shock: :shock:

ilikeikes

Post by ilikeikes »

If your hoping to have a prototype in your collection, I suggest looking at the pics in this thread, and, the ones in the DIVA listing for that..a quick look at the islands is your first clue...
Good luck...as far as rust and toning, both happen to brown box IKES, all the time..it's unusual to find a brown box WITHOUT either issue, after 40+ years entombed in plastic.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

rtc535

Post by rtc535 »

Hi,
Since I was already on. Its been 3 weeks to the day, no updates, PCGS still just says order status: OK. I pressume it will take nearly the entire 6 weeks.

Lyds: Maybe its me, but I don't think the grade on your coin is that far off. But I guess it may vary what king of coin your comparing the grade to. As far as SP's go, like the Kennedy Special Mint Sets(1965-67), its a pretty good grade. Your rim gouge is more minor than mine, and in a more camaflaged spot. My coin has a larger gouge and is in a highly visable spot. Your eye is just drawn to it. I think "environmental damage" is from the cellophane out-gassing. I still believe these coins did go into blue packs.

Rtc535