Speaking of FEV die cracks - the NITE crack (with DDO)

SteveP
Global Moderater

Speaking of FEV die cracks - the NITE crack (with DDO)

Post by SteveP »

The FEV has number of documented die cracks, including the DIVa 1D1-401 "Oh No", the DIVA 1D1-402 "Cuddly TED" (with "crack head"), the DIVa 1D1-403 "Slingshot Y" (with RPM), and the various "crack heads" that I listed in this thread.

Here's one that I think is DIVa-worthy - the "NITE" die crack. Not simply because of the nice reverse die crack, but also because it bears a nice DDO from the FEV DDO family 5.

FEV "NITE" die crack - should enter DIVa catalogue as 1D1-404

Obverse Markers*
- MDS-LDS
- DDO from FEV DDO family 5, with nice discernible notching at the NW ends of the N, R, and U in the motto. This differs from the DDO on DIVa 1D1-301. There are other FEV DDO family 5 members, but without the NITE die crack, and with varying robustness of the spread.
- Double die crack in the L of LIBERTY
- Die crack in the B of LIBERTY
- MMP

- in end-stage die state, additional die crack markers appear (this baby was ready to blow up): NTR die cracks (motto). This would mark the most progressed state known**.
- in end-stage die state, the DDO is expectedly less readily apparent

Reverse Markers*
- NITE die crack in UNITED. Can extend to the D in LDS.
- DDR from FEV DDR family 1, with mild manifestations at LL in DOLLAR, C in AMERICA, and star 10 (1b level of manifestation)

- in end-stage die state, additional die crack markers appear (this baby was ready to blow up): ONE cracks and a U crack in UNITED. This would mark the most progressed state known**. The U crack is separate (non contiguous) from the NITE crack, although the NITE crack has extended more towards the U. Note: the ONE cracks are NOT the 1D1-401 "Oh No" die crack. The "Oh No" crack does not share markers with the NITE crack dies - there is no NITE crack on the "Oh No".

* Based on 4 specimens examined (end stage markers confirmed by Ken (Jones))
** We might want to go with 1D1-404.1 for the NITE crack / DDO / L&B cracked version, and then 1D1-404.2 for the VLDS with additional obverse and reverse die cracks.

Note: this FEV die pair shares no marker matches with the "Cuddle TED" die pair or the "Oh No" die pair.
Attachments
FEV "NITE" die crack
FEV "NITE" die crack
Last edited by SteveP on Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Steve Palladino

SteveP
Global Moderater

Re: Speaking of FEV die cracks - the NITE crack (with DDO)

Post by SteveP »

FEV "NITE" die crack
Obverse Markers
- MDS-LDS
- DDO from FEV DDO family 5, with nice discernible notching at the NW ends of the N, R, and U in the motto. This differs from the DDO on DIVa 1D1-301. There are other FEV DDO family 5 members, but without the NITE die crack, and with varying robustness of the spread.
- Double die crack in the L of LIBERTY
- Die crack in the B of LIBERTY
- MMP
Attachments
DDO - FEV DDO family 5
DDO - FEV DDO family 5
DDO - FEV DDO family 5
DDO - FEV DDO family 5
L double die crack
L double die crack
B die crack
B die crack
MMP
MMP
Last edited by SteveP on Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Palladino

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP »

FEV "NITE" die crack
Reverse Markers
- NITE die crack in UNITED. Can extend to the D in LDS.
- DDR from FEV DDR family 1, with mild manifestations at LL in DOLLAR, C in AMERICA, and star 10 (1b level of manifestation)
Attachments
NITE die crack
NITE die crack
NITE die crack extending to the D in LDS-VLDS
NITE die crack extending to the D in LDS-VLDS
DDR - FEV DDR family 1b
DDR - FEV DDR family 1b
DDR - FEV DDR family 1b
DDR - FEV DDR family 1b
Steve Palladino

Jones

Post by Jones »

Hi Steve. I found three of these in my pile. All have the markers you list with a couple of additional features. Mine have a die crack parallel to the rim through IGWT. And a couple of die cracks under ONE on the reverse. My computer and I are slowly coming to terms but not fully restored yet. Thank you Microsoft for dropping XP..

Running short getting ready for the FUN run. If I can manage it I will try to get pics to you. Hope all have a good New Year's. Ken

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP »

Jones wrote:Hi Steve. I found three of these in my pile. All have the markers you list with a couple of additional features. Mine have a die crack parallel to the rim through IGWT. And a couple of die cracks under ONE on the reverse.
Ken - I'm not seeing these markers on the three that I have. Your photos will be welcome when you get around to it.
Steve Palladino

Jones

Post by Jones »

Steve. Pictures of the three I have.First coin #1.
Coin1_IGWT.jpg
Coin1_ONEa.jpg
coin1_ONEb.jpg
Coin1_UNITEDa.jpg
Coin1_UNITEDb.jpg

Jones

Post by Jones »

Coin #1 is the earliest die state of the pieces I have. Very slight cracks in the O of ONE and the T of TRUST. Here are pics of coin #2
Coin2_IGWT.jpg
Coin2_ONEa.jpg
Coin2_ONEb.jpg
Coin2_UNITEDa.jpg
Coin2_UNITEDb.jpg

Jones

Post by Jones »

And here is #3.
Coin3_IGWT.jpg
Coin3_ONEa.jpg
Coin3_ONEb.jpg
Coin3_UNITEDa.jpg
Coin3_UNITEDb.jpg

Jones

Post by Jones »

I think Coin #3 is on a proof planchet. Hope these help.

Got more in the wings waiting. I'm going to try to get some pics of the Obverse and Reverse rim cud FEV's before I take them to the FUN show. Type at Ya later, Ken

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP »

Ken,
I found one with the same additional die cracks. These represent a later (perhaps end of die life) die stage for the NITE crack. I'll try to get photos up tomorrow and amend the markers listed earlier in this thread.

Thank you again.
Steve Palladino