IKE's searched from bank bags

twitcherroo

IKE's searched from bank bags

Post by twitcherroo »

When I lived in Savannah Ga a few years ago (2013-2015) I had a bank teller who would order me $1,000 bags of IKE's for me whenever I wanted. I was trying to put together a complete date & mintmark set pulled solely from circulation. I ended up moving and never did complete the collection. I found:

1971 - P, D, S(Blue) & S(Brown)
1972 - P, D, S(Blue) & 4 type II's
1973 - P, D, S(Clad)
1974 - P, D, S(Blue) & S(Clad)
1976 - P, D, S(Clad)
1977 - P, D, S(Clad)
1978 - P, D, S(Clad)

Only missing Blue IKE's from '73 & '76 and Brown IKE's from '72-'76.

In addition I found 1978-P with a very cool reverse die-clash that show's IKE's entire profile. I didn't realize his entire profile was visible until I pulled it out to photograph today.

Also found some cool die-breaks and a whole bunch of other cool stuff (16 1972-D DDR's in same bag!). Thanks for looking.

IMG_4326.JPG
Attachments
IMG_4325.JPG
IMG_4324.JPG
IMG_4323.JPG

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Re: IKE's searched from bank bags

Post by BrianVaile »

That looks like the twin to the 78-P "Monster Clash" that is featured in Chapter 35 of our Ike Book! :shock:
https://coins.www.collectors-society.co ... x?sc=13812

It has a clashed die on the observe as well. I can see the Hairlip and possible UDU in your photo.

There are several pages of close-up pics of that coin in chapter 35, as the dies were not yet "repaired" by the abrading process. This coin gave us our first glimpse of some clashed die artifacts that we didn't even know existed.

Now, we know there are at least 2 of these 78-P unabraded clashes out there,...there could possibly be more!

GREAT FIND! :D

Happy Hunting!
Brian
Last edited by BrianVaile on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

twitcherroo

Post by twitcherroo »

Amazing - that's the same dang coin? Really cool. I'm starting to get a new level of respect for these IKE's....

twitcherroo

Post by twitcherroo »

BrianVaile wrote:
It has a clashed die on the observe as well. I can see the Hairlip and possible UDU in your photo.
Brian - I just figured out what a UDU is. This one has the UDU that's visible on the obverse without magnification. Under the scope it's extremely prominent. Thanks

twitcherroo

Post by twitcherroo »

BrianVaile wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:38 pm
That looks like the twin to the 78-P "Monster Clash" that is featured in Chapter 35 of our Ike Book! :shock:
https://coins.www.collectors-society.co ... x?sc=13812

There are several pages of close-up pics of that coin in chapter 35, as the dies were not yet "repaired" by the abrading process. This coin gave us our first glimpse of some clashed die artifacts that we didn't even know existed.

Now, we know there are at least 2 of these 78-P unabraded clashes out there,...there could possibly be more!

GREAT FIND! :D

Happy Hunting!
Brian
Brian - hello, it’s been a while. Just a quick update. ANACS was running a $10 special so I sent this ‘78-P in to them. Came back at MS-66 and labeled as ‘Heavily Clashed Dies’. I also sent in my best 1972 type 2 but only got an MS-62 on that which was a little disappointing.

Hope all is well with you.

Joe

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile »

Hey Joe,

Great job on landing that 78 into a slab and an MS6 6to boot! :shock: I would suggest contacting PM Andy about getting that one into our DIVA catalog. We now know of 2 slabbed examples and we don't have any DIVA's for the 78-P yet. It was featured in our book, so I think it stands a very good chance.

Sorry the Type 2 didn't go higher, but it is STILL a Type 2! :D Which variety of the Type 2 is it? Steve just posted a great write-upon those. You mentioned also found (16) 72-D DDR's in the same bag. Did you check to see if they are DDO as well? There are (2) versions of the 72-D DDO/DDR that are worth slabbing in MS grade. Keep hitting that bank for Ikes and let us know about your finds!

Happy Hunting!
Brian

twitcherroo

Post by twitcherroo »

Brian - I’ll PM Andy and see about a DIVA cert.

On the DDR’s, unfortunately I think they were all machine doubling and not actually doubling and I didn’t know better at the time.

twitcherroo

Post by twitcherroo »

I sent in the other ‘72-P type 2 from this bag and it came back MS-63..... just goes to show what I know. I thought the 1st one was nicer but I struggle to grade these.