1971-S Proof Ike - Funky R serif (LIBERTY) and DDR?

FS-801

1971-S Proof Ike - Funky R serif (LIBERTY) and DDR?

Post by FS-801 »

Got another one, guys. After getting it under the Canon I noticed the funky-looking serif on the R of LIBERTY. It looks like a blob of metal that was added, like adding clay to a sculpture. It's texture doesn't look consistent with the rest of the R. It may not be anything significant, but it jumped out at me. Thoughts? Also, the reverse appears to exhibit doubling on DOLLAR. You'll also notice a small line anomaly just above the horizontal bar of the first L of DOLLAR. The fields have a very appealing space blue color. The frostiness of the devices really pop on this coin.

I've collected Ikes for several years now, but only recently have I begun to look really close at them for varieties. The feedback is most helpful.

IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
My Eisenhower Dollar Complete Variety PCGS Registry Set: http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/publish ... x?s=119137

AndyO
Site Admin

Re: 1971-S Proof Ike - Funky R serif (LIBERTY) and DDR?

Post by AndyO »

This is the second group of 71S production proofs, where a serif was manually added to the working dies. We don't have hard evidence of the exact timeline, but we have narrowed it by cataloging unopened mailing packs from that period. Rob might have written about it in our book years ago, but I don't have one nearby.

I can't remember the numbers of serif and non-serif 71S proofs offhand without looking, but it's in the millions for each.

Nice catch on the die gouge/scrape above the L. Great pictures!
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

FS-801

Re: 1971-S Proof Ike - Funky R serif (LIBERTY) and DDR?

Post by FS-801 »

Thanks for that information, Andy. Very interesting! I'm glad you like the pictures. Ikes can be very photogenic. :D I have added this information to the final image:

71-S SP5 OGP MDDR.jpg
My Eisenhower Dollar Complete Variety PCGS Registry Set: http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/publish ... x?s=119137