daviscfad

Re: Regarding the 1972 Type II Ikes...

Post by daviscfad »

is the cap better?

shasta7

Post by shasta7 »

david…

no... not really... I am just trying to get an idea how many of the 1972 type II have the baseball cap!!!

make sure you keep an eye out the these OBV 1972 Type II's with the 1972 Rev Type I's.... :-)
They seem more scarce then the 72 Type II's... lol I have searched thousands & only found about a dozen....
all the marks for Type II are on with the baseball cap... seems like there may be only 1 Rev die as I have
not found any others.... maybe someone else will. If so let me know...

happy New Year everyone!!!

daviscfad

Post by daviscfad »

pics?

shasta7

Post by shasta7 »

David....

If you go to the BUY, Sell, page the first topic... http://forum2.ikegroup.info/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=2745

will give you all the markers, pic's... you need to look for these... also on the front Diva page of the site...
Look under 1972 Type I coins... I think it is the 1st one listed... hope this helps...

I myself look first for the type II markers... on the obv… like the baseball cap, N pimple, line at throat, etc
then when I flip coin over & see it is NOT the type II rev... I then look for the markers at the A of dollar
the small line coming off the right inner leg of the "A"... then lines... at L's.... ok that is it for now...

Terry (shasta7)

Frogdaddy

Post by Frogdaddy »

Folks, what I find interesting is the Ike Group mentioning T1, T2, and T3 Ikes from Philadelphia and yet I just received a couple of 1972S SB that are clearly lacking any islands in the Caribbean. What is the rarity and value of a 1972S SB without the islands (a Type 2 I assume)?

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO »

How about a picture? I don’t think any of us can comment without seeing exactly what you’ve got.

Welcome to the forum!
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile »

I've been focussing on 72-S SB's and Proofs for well over a year now. Mostly, to chase down the matching Proof and SB Checkov's Larva and Trail Dies. Going through hundreds of 72-S Silver Ikes and paying closer attention than I used to, I have noticed many 72-S SB's where any definition of the Type 2 islands seems to have totally been "washed away". I thought about possibly seeing about making it a DIVA, but there are just way to many of them in many different degrees of die degradation in that area.

More than likely, just because of the nature of the beast....the Type 2 incused islands (and things like the REV), just didn't hold up near as well as the raised islands do. Especially, if you are using a die not once, on the proofs, but also on the some SB's as well. They tried Type 2 islands early on and found that it "washed out" and didn't hold it's definition over time and they scrapped it for the Type 3 for the rest of the series. Personally, I still prefer the FEV island arrangement! ;)

Happy Hunting!
Brian