1971 s help

Foon

1971 s help

Post by Foon »

Hello and thanks for having me in The Ike Group.
I’ve had this 1971 s Ike for nearly a decade after winning it in a poker game. I’ve always thought it looked different and special in some way and have kept it separate from the rest of my Ike collection. Several days ago I discovered an article here about prototypes which made me pull out my coin for a closer examination. After days of study, reading, and visual comparisons, I’m still left wondering if I have something special or just a regular but still beautiful coin. I am going to try to attach pictures taken with my phone as I don’t have a computer. I apologize if my photos are not of the highest quality, I’ve never attempted to photograph my coins before this.
The coin in question has proof-like fields that light up, but not anywhere near that of the typical proof Ike I’m used to seeing. If anybody has any ideas or advice I’d be greatly appreciative.
Thanks
Attachments
41D1AC27-5395-470F-A9BC-BC9B2541FCD9.jpeg
39BF0291-7F70-4E49-8845-3D2910C40541.jpeg
5E010296-1190-4C61-89F5-89A001D25C3D.jpeg
4CA31914-F511-4FB1-8B71-2B3787511F19.jpeg
13B79FDF-13DF-4BD6-A8C9-5AB84E9DC73B.jpeg
567AB1D1-6D9D-4D4F-AA43-EE9422417578.jpeg
FEF237DC-94D9-49B2-8BBC-EDF541381616.jpeg

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Re: 1971 s help

Post by BrianVaile »

Welcome to the Ike Group! :D
Very interesting coin. However, is not a prototype. MMP (Mint Mark Placement is too far right, R is flared, and WE gap is way too close. Still, a very interesting coin. In appearance, it looks to be more MS than proof. Don't know if that is because it was extremely circulated, damaged or exposed to chemicals (all likely, since you said you won it in a poker game). Yet, the die looks like it's a proof to me.

I guess there is also the possibility of it being a 71-S Proof die that was used on a Business Strike planchet. We have examples of that happening in 1972 (Trail Die and Chekov's Larva) and to a lesser extent, also in 1973 (PCGS verified). Haven't found a 71-S example yet, but if it happened in '72 and '73, it would be reasonable to suspect that it also happened in '71, somewhere along the line. :shock:

You could always send it into PCGS to be graded (They have a quarterly special on Ikes going right now) and put 518389 for the coin number on the form and see what they say. It won't be the prototype, but it will definitely make them scratch their heads! :lol:
My guess would be PMD to a 71-S Proof, (only because I've never encountered a 71-S BS struck with a proof die), and that's all I can tell from pics. But, it does look very interesting!

Happy Hunting!
BV

Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi, thanks so much for the response and the great info! My photos are very poor, if I could share a video the proof like fields in contrast to matte finish on the devices would be much more apparent. When I won the coin it was in a coin flip and I transferred it carefully to a 2x2. When I examine it closely the details are incredibly sharp and I can’t find a scratch anywhere. There is a thumbprint in front of Ike’s face that was there when I received it as well as a very slight haze in a couple of spots. I found quite of few similarities between mine and some of the other prototypes but also found characteristics that none of the prototypes shared. The weight is 24.73
I am definitely working on figuring out how to sign up for PCGS as I have several coins I would like to have graded. I’ve collected coins since I was 5 or 6 but have never submitted coins before.
Thank you so much for your swift response, and I’ll check check into your other suggestion as well! I’ve never seen an ike like this and I own a lot of Ike’s! It sure has me excited for whatever it may be.

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile »

Your photos aren't bad at all! From your verbal description, I'm leaning more towards an "impaired proof". But it still looks very interesting. :shock:
Unless you plan on sending a bunch of coins in for submission to PCGS (they require a membership to submit even a single coin), I suggest that you go to a local coin dealer and have them send it in for you with their next submission. "Piggyback" is the term I like to use. They are more than happy to include your coins in their submission as long as you pay your part of the fees and probably give them "first dibs" on your coin when you get it back and decide you wish to sell it. Saves you from paying the PCGS membership fee you have to have to submit coins. In they send it in before Sept 31, make sure they put the Quarterly special code on the form to get an additional $5 off for each Ike Dollar.

Happy Hinting!
Brian

Foon

Post by Foon »

Thanks so much Brian!
I couldn’t find a local coin store that was a registered PCGS dealer, so I was considering getting a membership. I have a lot of coins I’d like to get graded including some Morgan VAMs. Do you know about how much I might expect to pay for a conservation or restoration of this particular Ike? I’ve never sold coins and have no intention of doing so at this point in my numismatic career I love my collection too much, but I’d love to get all of my valuable coins graded and better protected.
I’m very appreciative of this page/forum and that an expert such as yourself is willing to take a look at my coin and answer questions. Thank you kindly!

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile »

I don't know how PCGS charges for conservation because I've never done it. I think it also depends upon the value of the coin. I'm trying the PCGS conservation for the first time with a couple of indian head pennies this month when I sen in my Ikes. It, requires a special form, so I called PCGS and asked them to send it to me last week. Maybe some one else here has used it and can give you more information. Good Luck! I can't wait to hear the results.
I just join the basic PCGS level service for submissions. If you have Morgans, you may want to go for the bigger package and get the 8 free submissions. it will pay for itself with that.
Happy Hunting!
Brian
Last edited by BrianVaile on Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foon

Post by Foon »

Brian the information you have shared has been extremely helpful, thank you! I’m preparing to sign up and make my first submission with more confidence now that you have advised me! Also one last quick question if you have a moment, what is the 518389 coin number you had suggested to add to the form?
I will certainly keep you posted as I find out more about this neat Ike! Thanks again Brian! And good luck with your submission as well

rtc535

Post by rtc535 »

ya, thats not a Prototype,
Its not comparing to mine at all almost everywhere. Especially no fine tool polish lines.

Rtc535