1973-S SP Potential FS-101 - DDO-004/DDR-MD1

DoubleJ

1973-S SP Potential FS-101 - DDO-004/DDR-MD1

Post by DoubleJ »

Picked up this coin thinking it was an Eskimo Peg Leg. It turned out not to be. Upon further examination the coin revealed the potential of being an FS-101 (DDO-004) with a DDR-MD1 reverse. I used Chapter 18 in the Ike Variety Book and ARED First Addition as references. The attachments are in order of the Figure Photo's in the Variety Book. IN with top left notches and thin line down the right arm of N, TR left side notches (the notches show up better in attachment 4), GO top and bottom lines (appears as shadows in the attachment), first T in TRUST with fuzzy notch, B in LIBERTY with complex lines (there are 3 full lines and 2 partial on back side leg of B), left foot of R in LIBERTY showing the notch (the R is lilted very far right), and the die scratch behind Ike's ear (set horizontally). Also, the coin has MDD on the backside of Ike's ear, the date, and in varying degrees in IGWT and ERTY of LIBERTY. You can see a small portion of the MDD on Ike's ear in the last attachment.

The reverse (no attachments) has doubling in FG, some stems and leaves, all crater rims, right side stars, OF AMERICA, minor doubling in the islands below Florida and tripling in STATES upper right ends of letters.

Thank you for your time,
DoubleJ
Attachments
1973-S IN.jpg
1973-S T R.jpg
1973-s G O.jpg
1973-S Fuzzy T.jpg
1973-S Marker B Lines.jpg
1973-S Notched R.jpg
1973-S Hair Scratch.jpg
DoubleJ, DDG-24 Semper Confidens

AndyO
Site Admin

Re: 1973-S SP Potential FS-101 - DDO-004/DDR-MD1

Post by AndyO »

The FS-101 is actually tripled in the motto. It's pretty clear under magnification. I don' think you have one there, but I can't say for sure as the pictures have shadows/glare clouding the affected areas, and the die seems to be a tad on the worn side.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

Yes, I agree the die is on the worn side and try as I may, I cannot satisfactorily eliminate the glare. Looking at the coin under the microscope in real time and maneuvering it around to reduce the glare gives me more confidence in my FS-101 analysis. However, it will stay in the "maybe" list for now. My Father's Day wish list includes better photographic equipment. The CMOS camera, even with the lowest microscope power, is marginally acceptable.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced camera set-up or brand of camera which can produce decent quality images?

Thanks for your comments.

DoubleJ

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

When you have to eat crow, then you eat crow. After further examination of the coin using 3 separate references, it is certain the coin is NOT a FS-101 nor a DDO-004. The reverse does have the nicest doubling on the lower section of the coin that I've seen.

Thank you for your time,
DoubleJ