night crawler

gwyss4950

night crawler

Post by gwyss4950 »

I just received my second night crawler from buying on ebay. The first was in a roll but the second was a single coin purchase with the night crawler showing. I was just wondering how many night crawler are know to exist ????

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Re: night crawler

Post by BrianVaile »

According to the Ike Group DIVA Population Report, there should be 15 of them out there that have been "Divatized" With the new 2nd generation DIVA sticker. I don't know how many are out there that don't have the sticker. Don't really have to have the sticker on these, as they are pretty darned obvious. Not much "wiggle room" in interpreting the "Nightcrawler" (pardon the pun). :lol:
Congrats on your scores!

Happy Hunting!
Brian

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP »

The average reverse die life of a 1971S SP in 1971 was about 3500 coins. I have not seen any evidence to to suggest that the reverse die of the Nightcrawler might have had a foreshortened life.

The average obverse die life of a 1971S SP in 1971 was about 2500 coins. Perhaps it is possible that the Nightcrawler reverse die was retired when it obverse die was at end of life.

That would put the theoretical number of Nightcrawlers at perhaps 2500-3500 coins. I have no idea on the estimated survival numbers on the Nightcrawler, but imagine some could have been lost to melt or other loss/destruction. Like Brian, I am also unaware of the number of Nightcrawlers that have been identified by Ike collectors, but have not been formally attributed and list in the DIVa population report. I imagine that there are more known / not formally attributed Nightcrawlers than known / DIVa attributed Nightcrawlers.

Your example suggests that there are more out there, with most owners unaware that a Nightcrawler even exists.

Great DIVA, IMO. I own 11 of them.
Steve Palladino

gwyss4950

Post by gwyss4950 »

Thanks for the information!! Guess I'll just keep looking.