DIE-ABRASION DIE-STATE CLAD “PEG LEGS” and “CLIPPED E”

Sumdunce

Re: DIE-ABRASION DIE-STATE CLAD “PEG LEGS” and “CLIPPED E”

Post by Sumdunce »

Rob,

It would appear to be a mix of bag and annealing marks. Some marks hit the high points and do not drop down into the coin, while some are deep into the coin with some of the details merging back together (like a split leaf where the highest points are almost back together).

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce »

Almost forgot...

The loss of frosting has me sort of preplexed. The (viewer's) left side of moon has strong frosting until about the eagle's feet and then it fades to an almost no frosting on the (viewer's) right side of the moon. The frosting in "ONE DOLLAR" starts out regular and develops a sort of sheen as you read across the script. I don't recall ever seeing anything quite like this from normal die wear.

That is what I thought you were alluding to in a reverse die marker.

V/R

Sumdunce
Eschew obfuscation!

DaveWantuck

Post by DaveWantuck »

Hi guys....visited the PAN coin show here in Pittsburgh, PA this afternoon...and it was the first time I had enough knowledge from all you 'gentlemen' in here helping me, either directly, or by my watching your threads and photos....I have a loooooooooooooooong way to go, but I'm just thrilled I found the Ike Group...I asked the first gentlemen that looked promising if he had any BLUE Ikes...he said he sold all 35 yesterday to a guy for $5 a piece....same story at another table..."I had some yesterday, but sold them all"...and so the story went...I did in fact manage to find enough to look thru and came up with 3 each 1972 S SB FPL....now I'm no expert, but I'm comparing them to the pictures I see on the Ike Group and plain old common sense....one you think you have one, your mind starts to play tricks on you...you say " nah...that couldn't be a SPL....then you see another, and that same feeling goes thru you....but anyway, I have at least 3 BLUE IKES withSPL...and they are really nice coins...good luster , not a lot of marks, and I only pald $5.50 each. Sure wish I could have made it there yesterday and boght those 35 for $5 bucks apiece...grrrrrr :? but anyway, just thought I'd leave a note to see what anyone has to say on this find of mine...I'll try to take some photos of them and then try to figure out how to put them on here...one thing at a time....I looked thru a lot of Ikes today and mostly everyone wasn't too concorned I was sitting there with my 10x loupe just checking out the place...and when I was thru, I said 'thank you'...possibly said a few words about Ikes then went on to the next table...sometimes its just great to listen to the other guys chatting...that was it...I'm happy and now I'm off to bed and start checking my backlog of Ikes tomorrow.....Dave
"Life isn't about waiting for the
storm to pass...it's about learning
to dance in the rain"

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman »

Hi, Dave,

The 72 SB Ike is a peg leg obverse design so they are all peg legs, sorry!

It is interesting that the 72 SB peg leg is round and thus in higher relief than the 71 SB peg legs, even though Wiles and Wexler catalog them as the same Obverse Design Variety.

It's even more interesting that the 72 SB peg leg varies in degree of relief (though it's too robust to "fade" as did the 71-S proof peg leg), and, that other features on both sides of the 72-SB share the same variable relief. Most likely answer is 72 SB frosting re-treatments that involved some degree of re-polishing before some or all of the re-frostings. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce »

Dave,

Getting these coins at $5.50 each is still a very good price.

B&Ms in my area charge $10.00 each and sell out as soon as they get them in. No, I am not the one buying them.

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!

DaveWantuck

Post by DaveWantuck »

Hi Rob...
Just my luck...when I think I found something, it ends up being a 'design' element...grrrrrrr...oh well, I had fun looking anyway.......(I swear the more I read facts about peg legs, the more confused I'm getting...hehehe...I looked at the chart on "A Survery of the Ike Peg Legs in Twelve Questions" on #6 and I'm just NOT comprehending whats in front of me....Can I conclude from your post that the only year that was an Obverse Design peg leg was 1972? I know you're a busy man but when you get a chance sure would appreciate any info you can pass along....thanks
Dave
to dance in the rain"

DaveWantuck

Post by DaveWantuck »

Hey Lamont....
I thought $5.50 was a good price myself....I looked at some 1973 SB and most vendors wanted $30-$35 each....a little rich for my blood....I used to go to my local coin shop and would hang out for a couple hours several times a week....found out some interesting stuff about coins, but hardly anything about Ikes....the owner was very nice, but I couldn't get much information there on Ikes...I bought some Blue Ikes and a few Brown ones as well, but what I REALLY wanted was some information...thats why I'm so grateful for you guys and all the info you have on here....I'm like a kid in a candy store....that shop closed a few years ago and the clubs around here (at least the ones I've attended) don't have a lot of info on Ikes...so I'm on my own more or less....but I do enjoy my Ikes....
Dave
to dance in the rain"

boothill40

Post by boothill40 »

Very interesting read, here is as close as i've come to a 74-D peg leg in NGC MS66 plastic---Tom

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman »

Pretty picture! Shows nicely the coarse die abrasions that erased most or all of the serifs on the left leg of the R, yet another strong illustration that these NiCu-Clad peg legs are not Obverse Design Varieties. . .
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile »

Hey Tom!
That's a sweet grade on that 74-D PL! :P Die state Peg Legs are very tough to find in gem condition. :shock:
Brian