Re-engraved or recut or hand engraved feathers on LDST?

Post pictures, comments and questions on RDV
davew

Re-engraved or recut or hand engraved feathers on LDST?

Post by davew »

Are there many examples where the eagle has been enhanced in late die state conditions?

I have seen some eagle chest feathers, but am looking at one in auction now that has 'squigglys' on the wing feathers.

I find it interesting on the Proof Washington quarters, where someone crudely etched in on the eagle feathers or tail feathers - and now have seen some on IKEs

HerbHicks

Re: Re-engraved or recut or hand engraved feathers on LDST?

Post by HerbHicks »

This is very interesting. Also it was officialy frowned on the last I knew.
Can you give us some pictures and dates/mints you have observed it happening on.

davew

Post by davew »

I just won it at auction, when I have it in hand, I will try to post better pictures

the orange areas are what have my interest picqued - I have seen on the chest, but not on wings...

It seems to have happened frequently with the proof Washington quarters of the 50's

HerbHicks

Post by HerbHicks »

<<It seems to have happened frequently with the proof Washington quarters of the 50's>>

Are you sure about "frequently"? The CPG lists 1952 as a subset of the "Superbird", 1953 as rare and an unspecified number of non-proof 1957 D. That is all they list.

Bill Edwards reported hand engraving touchup on World War II quarters.

davew

Post by davew »

I think frequently - the tail feathers (between the legs) are CPG varieties for 1953 and 1952.
Someone found one that is a 1951

but the lower row of feathers on the wings themselves, show many scratched / etched in lines... below is a 1955

HerbHicks

Post by HerbHicks »

<<but the lower row of feathers on the wings themselves, show many scratched / etched in lines... below is a 1955>>

Now this gets very interesting. I do not do well working from pictures of coins, but here I go
anyway. Obviously your 1955 looks like a type B. However that ES gap of STATES looks too close for me. I have a 1952 like that. It turns out that it is a class III doubled die hubbed with both type A and type B artwork. Before first use, it was heavily buffed to remove signs of doubling leaving scratches on the design. Mine has extra metal below the L of PLURIBUS and beside the legs of N of UNITED. Another case might show a different pattern of doubling due to how the buffing was done. The die was later rebuffed and the ES gap opened up. There are several 1952 doubled dies. THe 1959 doubled die half is similiar in having gone through two buffings. This shows the mint knew what they had, but decided to use it anyway.

Could you take a look at the 1955 and see if it could be a similiar case?

davew

Post by davew »

That 1955 is in a submission right now. I did find a 1963 with similar etchings.

I should have the IKE pictured in a couple weeks - it is a 1971-S and to tell you the truth, I am not even positive it is authentic, although the obverse looks cleaned / prooflike, the reverse sure looks business strike to me (it is coming from Europe).

HerbHicks

Post by HerbHicks »

That reverse looks most like a type 1 judging by the tailfeather lines hand engraved into the master die. (The FEV has a similiar pattern but is missing the last added line [viewer's rightmost].) I don't understand why the earth looks so cluttered.

davew

Post by davew »

The dollar showed up today. Sadly the obverse was cleaned on the left half. I am leaning towards PL business strike from the reeds and edge, but wouldn't be surprised if proof. There is machine doubling on some of the outside letters near the Earth. I am not positive what it is, but it is not reengraved on die. It could be a strike through wire, but probably reed marks/hits. Pictures below are 1) earth 2) similar marks near bottom right star, 3) marks on wing.

stldanceartist

Post by stldanceartist »

Any updates on this topic?

I've found a 1971 S Silver BU with what looks like hand-engraved details on almost all the reverse feather detail. Found it while looking for "nightcrawler" reverses (this coin also has something much lighter below and in between the two talons...

Ike &quot;Superbird?&quot;
Ike "Superbird?"