Type IV Eisenhowers

Post pictures, comments and questions on RDV
DaveWantuck

Type IV Eisenhowers

Post by DaveWantuck »

Hello .....
I know I saw an article on type IV Ikes a few years back, so I started going thru my old issues....and I found it...March 12, 2007 article (Collectors' Clearinghouse) page 126....Eric von Klinger talks about a type IV Ike...I'm a bit confused because it says that a reader sent in seven 1971-D Ikes seeking verification that they were of a reverse hub variety known as RDV-006....it goes on to talk about a DVR-006, not a RDV-006 ( I think that might be a typo).....that was published in the Nov-Dec 1999 issue of Errorscope. Then it says that Coin World published info on the DVR-006 on the Clearinghouse page in the Sept 23, 2002 issue.... my old copies don't go back that far so I can't check it out....but this article dated 2007 shows 4 seperate photos, 1 of each type, I, II, III, and IV, and type IV it states "some 1971-D issues. Islands farthest east, with Cuba appearing split as thought it were two islands. Baja has disappeared. Yucatan barely evident"...etc....Can anyone tell me if this Ike is for real or am I missing something? I do have a lot to learn about the Eisenhower Dollar and I know this is the place to ask questions...so I can't wait to see what comes out of this thread....
Dave
"Life isn't about waiting for the
storm to pass...it's about learning
to dance in the rain"

herbhicks

Re: Type IV Eisenhowers

Post by herbhicks »

It is real. Here we now call it the FEV. It is written up somewhere here.

herbhicks

Post by herbhicks »

herbhicks

Post by herbhicks »

Early die states have what looks like a REV (Re-entry vehicle) contrail near earth.

This is described and pictured in a current eBay item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PCGS-MS65-1971-D-RD ... 7C294%3A50

DaveWantuck

Post by DaveWantuck »

Thanks Herb...
I'm familiar with the FEV...as a matter of fact, found one in my stash a month or so ago....just didn't know type IV and FEV were one and the same....I guess it pays to ask questions in here.....thanks again....
Dave
"Life isn't about waiting for the
storm to pass...it's about learning
to dance in the rain"

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds »

DaveWantuck wrote:Hello .....
I know I saw an article on type IV Ikes a few years back, so I started going thru my old issues....and I found it...March 12, 2007 article (Collectors' Clearinghouse) page 126....Eric von Klinger talks about a type IV Ike...I'm a bit confused because it says that a reader sent in seven 1971-D Ikes seeking verification that they were of a reverse hub variety known as RDV-006....it goes on to talk about a DVR-006, not a RDV-006 ( I think that might be a typo).....that was published in the Nov-Dec 1999 issue of Errorscope. Then it says that Coin World published info on the DVR-006 on the Clearinghouse page in the Sept 23, 2002 issue.... my old copies don't go back that far so I can't check it out....but this article dated 2007 shows 4 seperate photos, 1 of each type, I, II, III, and IV, and type IV it states "some 1971-D issues. Islands farthest east, with Cuba appearing split as thought it were two islands. Baja has disappeared. Yucatan barely evident"...etc....Can anyone tell me if this Ike is for real or am I missing something? I do have a lot to learn about the Eisenhower Dollar and I know this is the place to ask questions...so I can't wait to see what comes out of this thread....
Dave
Arg! That description in the CONECA Issue and the write up in the Collectors Clearing House are so opaque it makes it seem as if you need a micrometer to determine what the variety is. The word phasing in CONECA states "The Yucatan has lost much definition" indicates that this is a die wear variety which it is not! Its no wonder it was ignored for so many years!

Dave, you can order back issues of the CONECA book. I don't have the March issue of CW can you scan it and send me a copy of the article?

Personally, I think that a lot of the descriptions of this reverse missed the mark as they tend to lead the reader away from the obvious. The IKE Groups article was the best presented but a lot of folks took exception to using the term Pattern in the original Numismatist Article. Unfortunately, coin collectors can be a little lazy and if you spend a lot of time on describing something which is difficult to see then they lose interest rather quickly. The first few I obtained, I wasn't really sure if they actually were the RDV-006. It was only after I had obtained some nice examples that I could actually "see" the differences and then things started popping out all over the place!
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds »

Dang!

Sorry about the multiple post folks but the screen wasn't responding.

Can one of the moderators delete the multiples?
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO »

Can one of the moderators delete the multiples?
It is so!
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

herbhicks

Post by herbhicks »

RDV (Reverse die variety) and ODV (obverse die varieties) are terms used by Dr. James Wiles and CONECA to identify die varieties within a series. They start with RDV-001 and go up by one for each new one or new discovery (even if out of chronoligical sequence). In the Ike series RDV-004 and RDV-005 are the two Bicentennial types. The FEV is RDV-006 and Lee's proto-type is RDV-007 (and ODV-010)which they call a "Mixed Relief Design". I don't recollect that term. Guys? DVR is a variation I have not often seen.

This numbering scheme has quite a following within the hobby. I think the 1988 one cent RDV-006 is quite a valuble item.

Coneca's chart:

http://varietyvista.com/Eisenhower%20Do ... hanges.htm

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds »

herbhicks wrote:RDV (Reverse die variety) and ODV (obverse die varieties) are terms used by Dr. James Wiles and CONECA to identify die varieties within a series. They start with RDV-001 and go up by one for each new one or new discovery (even if out of chronoligical sequence). In the Ike series RDV-004 and RDV-005 are the two Bicentennial types. The FEV is RDV-006 and Lee's proto-type is RDV-007 (and ODV-010)which they call a "Mixed Relief Design". I don't recollect that term. Guys? DVR is a variation I have not often seen.

This numbering scheme has quite a following within the hobby. I think the 1988 one cent RDV-006 is quite a valuble item.

Coneca's chart:

http://varietyvista.com/Eisenhower%20Do ... hanges.htm
Dang Herb! I've been watching that CONECA page since the prototype got graded wondering when James was going to update it with the new Design Varieties!
Glad to see it has occured.

As for RDV-004 and RDV-004, those can get really confusing if your mind is tuned into Type 1 and Type 2 BiCentennial names but I guess thats the nature of the beast!