Is the Shadow Ike harder to find in MS68?

SteveP
Global Moderater

Is the Shadow Ike harder to find in MS68?

Post by SteveP »

Finding the 72S SB with full "shadow" and sharp contrail image seems harder to find in MS68 than MS67. Has anyone else found that to be the case?

I'm having a hard time finding a MS68 full shadow/sharp contrail Ike to replace the MS67 (and more than one of these MS67s) with full shadow/sharp contrail in my collection. I'm wondering if it is a function of more polishing making for a higher grading coin, but at the expense of the contrail, and then lunar lines and shadow?
Steve Palladino

SteveP
Global Moderater

Re: Is the Shadow Ike harder to find in MS68?

Post by SteveP »

Steve Palladino

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP »

Steve Palladino

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman »

Steve, my impression is the same as yours and I like your reasoning. I did not tabulate by grade the Shadow Ikes that have crossed my desk over the years so I have no hard numbers to offer.

The 72-S SB Ike BLue Packs are still reasonably priced and available for inspection at many shops and shows. Knowing that MS68 examples with full "Shadow" may eventually carry a nice premium can energize one's willingness to search.

On the other hand, the low hanging is clearly getting scarcer Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP »

Shadow Ikes are one of my favorite DIVAs. I've managed to find three in MS68.
I appreciate your feedback regarding their relative distribution into the highest grades.
Steve Palladino

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman »

So, Steve, where do you stand on the REV issue and my mud on the wall that the lllift-off vehicle is in the same location on the obverse as the putative "Re-Entry Vehicle" and thus the Shadow image is possibly consistent with a lift-off plume?

Within the Ike Group and in our writings, how do we express really cool possibilities without formally taking a position for which there is no concensus at large? How do we move the flag without looking like wackadoodles? Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP »

Rob,
I just re-read some awesome stuff...
http://www.ikegroup.info/?page_id=219
http://www.ikegroup.info/?page_id=221
http://www.ikegroup.info/?page_id=223
http://www.ikegroup.info/?page_id=225
...and Chapter 6.

I put the links here so readers can review the great work done in elaborating the Shadow Ike.
REV issue and my mud on the wall that the lllift-off vehicle is in the same location on the obverse as the putative "Re-Entry Vehicle" and thus the Shadow image is possibly consistent with a lift-off plume
I believe you meant the lift-off (contrail image pointing south) vehicle in the same location relative to the Earth on the reverse of the 72S SB Shadow Ike as is the re-entry (REV image pointing north) on the reverse of the 71D FEV.

I think it is great explanation for what is seen / clearly observed. Here is why - I recognize that explanation is conjecture, but I love that it attempts to read the mind of the Frank Gasparo. Not that it is wild conjecture - there is the image that looks suspiciously like the NASA contrail that pops up on two separate reverse design varieties. It is like interpreting any work of art. It adds to the mystique. I can describe the arrangement of the figures in "The Last Supper", but interpreting why they were arranged that way adds to the mystique of the painting. Are the interpretations exactly what Leonardo was thinking? Who knows?

I think that the Ike Group must strive, whenever possible, to make careful observations, research, and support with evidence any conclusions made. Apply scientific methods whenever possible, in order to derive valid conclusions.

That said, sometimes answering "why?" questions call for conjecture. As long as conjecture / theory / hypothesis is portrayed as such, and not as dogma, we will be fine.

Mud on the wall is hypothesis - that is where scientific study starts. In some cases, mud on the wall will lead to research and perhaps enlightening conclusions. In some cases, mud on the wall will have to stand alone - as conjecture / theory / hypothesis. And in the case of the mud on the wall Shadow Ike contrail vs FEV REV, it reads like Dan Browne on "The Last Supper" - pretty friggin' fun.

Moving the flag calls for hypothesis, research, analysis, and arriving at valid conclusions. But this very process always starts with hypothesis - mud on the wall. Nothing wackadoodle about that. ;)
Steve Palladino

HerbHicks

Post by HerbHicks »

<< http://www.ikegroup.info/?page_id=219 >>

The first link takes you to a piece that includes my "first person" narrative.

If memory serves me correctly, Rob asked for that piece. After some dilly dallying on my part, Rob wrote up the events as he understood them. I was mentioned in the third person. After seeing this I corrected it as needed, added some details and embellished it. I kept it in the third person and started thinking in the third person. Rob switched it to the first person. The result is in a style that I have never used before or since. It does tell the story correctly. I am exposing facets of my personality I usually keep to myself. I really called myself "cheap". Then I continued thinking of myself in the third person for the rest of the day. A good night's sleep cured that.

Return to “1972-S SB "Shadow Ike” and the 1972(P) Type 2 March & August varieties”