1971-S Proof Prototype Struck Coin?

amnight

1971-S Proof Prototype Struck Coin?

Post by amnight »

I noticed this coin a while back and wanted some opinions. The bust on the coin looks to be different than the bust on another proof of this coin that I have. The weight of the coin is 24.11g. The edge of the coin is similar to that of the business strike and different from the proof strike. As for diagnostics, the only thing I can ascertain from the internet are the weight and the edge. Also, the edge is milky white all the way around the coin. I would just like some opinions on what I have. In the pictures with multiple coins, the coin on the far left is the coin in question. The pictures of the coin edges are shown below. Two proofs on the left and a Silver Business strike on the right, all 1971-S. Thank you, here are pictures. If more pictures are needed please specify of what and I will post! The first picture is of the edges of the coins. Second and third pictures are of the coin in question. Next pictures are of a side by side of the two proofs(obverse and reverse, prototype left and normal right).
Edges of coins. Left coin questionable..
Edges of coins. Left coin questionable..
Proto Obverse
Proto Obverse
Proto Reverse
Proto Reverse
Side by side obverse. Left coin questionable.
Side by side obverse. Left coin questionable.
Side by side reverse. Left coin questionable.
Side by side reverse. Left coin questionable.

AndyO
Site Admin

Re: 1971-S Proof Prototype Struck Coin?

Post by AndyO »

From those pictures, I think you have a normal 71 S proof. I don't see anything out of the ordinary. If you've got differences located on the bust, then please circle them.

Reeding variation is normal.
Weight is within the usual tolerance band.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

amnight

Post by amnight »

I have drawn some boxes showing some of the differences on the obverse. On the reverse differences I see are the Gulf of Mexico's shape and a flat spot between 8 and 9 o'clock on the normal coin, whereas the coin in question has more of a round earth.
Boxes
Boxes
Round Earth on left. Flat on right.
Round Earth on left. Flat on right.

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO »

Nope, still not seeing anything. Normal 71-S proofs.

You have to be 101% sure your overlays from coin to coin match. In other words, for example, when you look at the word LIBERTY on both coins, they are not in the same rotational position. They (or some other marker) need to be PRECISELY lined up to the same position. Then, you need to copy/paste the drawing (your rectangles) and overlay them with exacting precision from one coin to another.

Unless you have something mechanical as a stop against a coin feature (and no, reeding is NOT accurate from coin to coin), I don't know how you can line up features to be in the identical position. You literally need them less than .25° rotational difference to depict if there is any difference in the bust. Your pictures look to be off a good couple of degrees from one another.

I wouldn't get too worried about this coin. 99.999999789% it's a regular 71-S proof.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

amnight

Post by amnight »

I did what you said Andy. I was able to learn how to do an overlay and like you said everything was the same except the Mint Mark on the coins. Thank you for your help! :D
linedup.jpg

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Here is the real thing :D
Attachments
New TrueView image of my SP- 67 Eisenhower Prototype Dollar.jpg