1971-S BS DDO + Gouged Wing

Bluish

1971-S BS DDO + Gouged Wing

Post by Bluish »

Not sure if this one has been reported. The obverse exhibits a decent amount of doubling, while the reverse features a very noticeable gouge at the primary wing feathers.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Irish2ice

Re: 1971-S BS DDO + Gouged Wing

Post by Irish2ice »

Not sure if reported, but THAT is VERY COOL! I'll be looking for that one.
Bob G.

"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." Dwight D. Eisenhower

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP »

The obverse doubling puts it in the 1971S DDO family 1. This is the same family of dies that produced the WDDO-006 (IDDD0-43) and the 1SB-201 (one of the two obverse FS-401 dies).

Tom Kalantzis identified 3 dies, but I have identified at least 10 - all bearing the same DDO.

In my study (with 10 different dies / MMPs):
MMP1 is currently assigned to 1SB-201 (FS-401 with DDO from this family - WDDO-007).
My MMP2 coincides with Tom's IDDDO-43 MMP1. (BTW- there should be 4 different marker-identifiable die stages of this one)
The one that is depicted in the photo in this thread is my MMP3. I just had another look at my collection - same wing gouge.

Once retired, I will be spending some time writing about and documenting this DDO family. IMO, this DDO family is compelling and collectible, regardless of source*.

* doubled hub passed onto the die versus systematic repeatable true DDO (although the exactness of the repeating DDO in this family tends to support doubled hub passed onto the die)

BTW, here is a post on this die family, presenting work that I had done in 2013.
Steve Palladino

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO »

Now that is a top end DIVa candidate (for me, anyway) - a real nice, in your face, naked-eye pick up point. Too bad that Sac claimed the obvious nickname already. Perhaps the Nightcrawler worm got stuck in the wing...? I'm sure you'll think of something.

Could be wrong, but I sort of remember Brain pointing one out like this years ago.
Could be wrong...

I really like that one, regardless. Great find.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

Rob407

Post by Rob407 »

Notice the upper left side of the letter "M" on both pictures, they are not the same. The picture of rev 2 have a (incuse) marker on the M. Since I have two each, I think it's worth noting.
Attachments
WingGouge Rev 2.jpg
WingGouge Rev 1.jpg

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP »

Rob407 wrote:Notice the upper left side of the letter "M" on both pictures, they are not the same. The picture of rev 2 have a (incuse) marker on the M. Since I have two each, I think it's worth noting.
Same obverse?

I have two - both have the die scratch near the upper right of the M (as depicted in your photo), along with a light die scratch below the first T in States.

If the obverse is the same, then your example without the M die scratch likely represents an earlier die state.
Steve Palladino

Bluish

Post by Bluish »

Wow, very interesting! Thanks for the feedback.

When I saw the obverse doubling I wondered if it fell into the same family that you've been studying Steve - I've read the post you linked a few times in the past. I will have to check the M for that marker when I get a chance to do so.

It sounds like this was a group discovery! Any ideas as far as names go? It reminded me of the Nightcrawler as well, Andy - that little creature seems very well traveled across these Ikes. Hm, I thought about "Aquila's Arrow" or "Aquila's Bolt" because it kind of looks like an arrow is hidden in, or passing through the eagle's wing. Aquila was the pet eagle of Zeus who aided him with supplies of armor, arrows and thunderbolts, and as far as I understand it, was also killed by an arrow shot by Hercules.

Other names that came to mind:

Silver Arrow
Skewer(ed) Wing :shock:
Wing Shot
Bolt Wing
And for fun...Bar Wing (89' VAM!)

Thoughts on better names?

Rob407

Post by Rob407 »

Steve,

The “M” marker coins (only) have the “T” marker in addition to a similar marker on top of the eagle’s head. All of my coins have the same obverse DDO. They also have a scratch / between the two Ls of dollar. There is a clash marker to the left of the first star or left side of reverse.

miedbe7

Post by miedbe7 »

Splintered Wing?

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP »

Broken Arrow
Steve Palladino