Opinions please on current NGC grading results for Ikes

Apollo

Opinions please on current NGC grading results for Ikes

Post by Apollo »

April 30, 2019

Hi gang!

What are your current opinions regarding NCG Ike grading compared with PCGS?

I ask given the apparent relaxing of PCGS standards given the coins that we are now seeing being graded.

How does NGC compare?

Thanks!

David

AndyO
Site Admin

Re: Opinions please on current NGC grading results for Ikes

Post by AndyO »

I've written about this many times in the past, at great length. In short:

NGC = 1 full point on average behind PCGS - in ALL coins.

PCGS = horrifically inconsistent in grading.

NGC = much more consistent in grading than PCGS.

PCGS = tend to command a slightly better value in the market place.

Best Advice: learn how to grade properly, and buy PCGS coins that have a coin worthy of the label above it.

EASILY half of all PCGS Ikes are over-graded, including 95% of PR70DCAM PCGS Ikes - most are barely worthy of 69. For this reason, I have never bought a 70 Ike. I've got FAR BETTER examples in PR69DCAM holders from my own searches and submissions, at a small fraction of the cost.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

Tater

Post by Tater »

I know this is an older thread but I haven't been on this forum for some time. I sent a bunch of 76 S to NGC to grade. Several of them I thought were possible 68's. I have a 68 from NGC and have seen a lot in a PCGS holders and these were that good. They came back a few 65 and most 66's. After that submission I felt like I was kicked in the gut. I cherry picked these for over a year. So I don;t know why NGC hates Ike's but man they have been tough on mine. I'm not sure why PCGS is the preferred and brings more money in auction must be good marketing on there end.

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO »

At a FUN luncheon a few years back, Mark Salzberg came right out and said Ikes were low-level coins to collect, or something to that effect, in front of an audience of a couple hundred. It was absolutely shocking. Nothing like bashing part of the hobby you're in business to support.

I for one have never been his biggest fan, nor do I feel NGC can grade worth a damn when it comes to Ikes or any other modern coin - and even classics. They're just sub-par in my book.

Many of us have now seen them and PCGS go the other way and absurdly tighten-up grades, and they're really hurting the hobby; they got everyone used to the over-graded crap, now all of a sudden they've had grader's remorse and body-bag everything that has a hint of color, put blatant MS66's in MS63 holders, etc. There's a lot of folks out there with lost confidence in both companies.

I haven't submitted raw coins in over 2? 3? years because of this nonsense.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

Tater

Post by Tater »

Yeah I remember when he said that. Kick in the gut. THe whole tightening of the grades on Ikes has taken the wind out of my sail. Nothing like working hard to search raw Ike's and submit them to get them 2-3 points lower than expected. When they look better than others coins with a higher grade over and over it is upsetting. I've been thinking about upgrading a few so a lot to think about.