72-S SP DDO?

boothill40

72-S SP DDO?

Post by boothill40 »

Found two 72-S SP tonight with this on most of the obv. lettering, is this MDD or an actual DDO?

Thanks Tom

tko-5

Re: 72-S SP DDO?

Post by tko-5 »

Hi there, looks like a master however there is not enough pics to be sure, Note: if your ike is doubled only on: in, god, we, trust, it most likely is a master mdd 001, 002 or 003. i hope this has helped.
tko-5

boothill40

Post by boothill40 »

Here's some other pics, may not be the find of the century but still looks cool to me :D

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO »

Interesting coin Tom. I was debating what to call it based on your first pictures. The second set look almost a lock to be MDD. I'd need to see this guy in hand to make an accurate call.

Andy
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman »

Tom, with similar "doubling" across much of the face of this Ike, could this be proof double-strike doubling?

Agree with Andy it doesn't strike me as hub doubling. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

boothill40

Post by boothill40 »

Thanks for the input guys, should I send these two in for grading and then in for "DIVA" attribution as I was going to have them slabed-----------Tom

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman »

Tom, a strength of DIVA Attribution as well as a weakness is the uncertainty we can express when a given Ike's doubling is not clear cut.

My knowledge of proof doubling from the two strikes comes from reading Alan Herbert's Error book and a liberal application of common sense, LOL.

Hub doubling occurs in the context of a die being hubbed by different working hubs under great pressure with many handling and processing steps between each hubbing so all sorts of expansion/contraction can occur as well as
lateral and rotational mis-alignments at each of the five or so hubbings required to sink a working die. The results are a bewildering array of doublings across a spectrum from trivial to significant but the one pattern not usually seen except on proofs is coarse doubling in the same direction that's more or less uniform across the face of the coin.

Strong proof double-strike doubling is uncommon, presumably because Ike proofs were struck in hand operated presses hydraulic presses and each proof was theorectically inspected closely for blemishes (yeah, right!).

At any rate, you might want to ask Andy or Brian if they would be interested in Attributing your Ike as they both have had more experience working with Ike proofs than I. PCGS holdering first is a good plan. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

boothill40

Post by boothill40 »

Sorry folks I still haven't got these off for grading as i went back to patrol at a ghetto station and i'm bussier than that one legged guy in the you know what contest.
As soon as i get some time i'll get these in----Tom

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman »

Hope that's not foot patrol? Rob

boothill40

Post by boothill40 »

Still no timeto send these in, been busy with 14-16 hour days hope to get them in some time soon hope all are well.

Tom